1981 15HP Evinrude flooding at slow speeds

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mik1947

Reaction score
My '81 15HP Evinrude has recently left me on the lake twice due to dying at slow speed and then won't restart. Starts fine cold and runs great at high speeds. When I back off the throttle she begins to run rough and dies if I don't keep the RPM's up with the throttle. When I pull the plugs, they are wet. I have adjusted the slow speed needle valve to the leanest position I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Make sure your float is at the proper level. Make sure that the float needle isn't getting stuck. You may have a little leak by that is able to be overcome at high speed, but fills your bowl at low speed.

It sounds like you might need to pull the carb and clean it.

Good luck!

Pump the fuel bulb when it starts to die and see what happens.

I have a long run fuel line and a pump that seems to be a bit weak, and when I pump the fuel bulb after sitting at idle speeds it is soft and takes several pumps to "reload." Now that I know it does not leave me trying to fire the engine up and getting angry. :D
I believe at higher RPM's the length and/or pump weakness is overcome by the more rapid pulses.

You should also return the low speed needle to a more "normal" position before you begin the fight.

Thanks, Kofkorn! I'll check that out!

SumDumGuy - Thanks, but the motor is not starving for fuel. It is getting too much fuel.

Thanks, Pappy! The fuel pump checked out good. Ordered carb rebuild kit this AM. Carb and parts are in cleaner for soaking overnight.

Mike