Motor isn't running well, can someone help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugoismad

Reaction score
After spending 4 hours yesterday on the water with my motor bogging down and acting like it had no power, I was really disappointed.

Spent lunch time at work reading up on what it could be, and came home today all ready to tear into the carb, measure the fuel pump output, rent a noid light from autozone, all sorts of stuff.

Popped my motor cowling and found this.

Maybe someone can help me with why it felt like it had no power yesterday....

aUMmwYI.jpg

ohhhhh nooooooo are you serious ???
plug.jpg

it is still a good idea to periodically remove the plugs
and check for any problems. If you see water droplets,
that will cause rough running at high RPMs.

Note: EVERYONE is laughing on the inside !!!
maybe some barely audible chuckles.
this comes with cranking and cranking and cranking a chainsaw with the switch in the OFF position.

I really intended for this post to be funny and not serious, but it got moved to motors section anyways.

Yeah, I had the plug disconnected because I was ohming out the coil, and then forgot to reconnect.

Hey, if it ran that well on 1 cylinder, it should run like a bat out of hell on 2!

Barefoot_Johnny said:
=D> Lugo, PLEASE don't think you are the ONLY one that has done this !!! :LMFAO:
and yes, it SHOULD run quite well on your next time out !!!
good job for sticking with it.

I'm looking forward to next time. Yesterday my dad wanted to go across the lake to a hole that is known for having hybrid striped bass. But I was too worried about the motor not running right, I didn't want to go across 3/4 of a mile of open water with a motor that wasn't running right.

Next time I plan on slaying some stripers. They just removed the minimum length limit on them, so they must be overstocked.

Wow, at least that will be rather inexpensive to fix. :lol:

It really is a good idea to take a minute and just LOOK at everything, including under the cover, whether it's when finished with work or when out on the water and she's not quite right.

You would not believe how many times I have failed to do just that on my bike. A few times after having it die on the roadside I even pulled the plug out or got a wrench out to drop the float bowl, only to find...

Oh man, the gas isn't turned on! :LOL2:

At least being over 55 I can just call it a "senior moment" :roll:

I gotta laugh at that one, just a month or so ago I replaced the plugs on the 15, the wires are abit long so naturally I crossed them up. Got down to the boat ramp and it wouldn't start every now and then it would back fire or sneeze. took about 10 min of looking at it before I saw what i had did #-o

....way better than a broke down motor....and I envy you, hybrids are way too much fun to catch. I think pound for pound they are the strongest fighting,most exciting freshwater fish to catch. We had them in a large local lake but they stopped stocking them after they turned up in the river below the dam and now they are all gone.

Wow that was an easy fix. Lol

That reminded me of when I young. My grandfarther had bought me a riding mower. To ride around well actually he bought it so he could get the deck off of it. I got what was left. It had an 8 hp engine turned side ways so you could stand beside it to crank it up.
So I'm running down the old road bed in front of the house one day and it goes to missing. I looked around the open side of the hood while still rolling tward the house. And noticed the plug wire half off. Yep you guessed it. The bad thing is i just couldn't bring my self to let go of the darn thing. With out getting it snapped back on. :mrgreen:

Now days every body gets to read the warning labels not to touch the wire. Darn where's the fun in that we should all get to learn from exsperence. Lol.
Boy I bet the coil packs on a boat motor could teach ya quick to. Lol

juggernot said:
....way better than a broke down motor....and I envy you, hybrids are way too much fun to catch. I think pound for pound they are the strongest fighting,most exciting freshwater fish to catch. We had them in a large local lake but they stopped stocking them after they turned up in the river below the dam and now they are all gone.

They stocked gizzard shad to get rid of aquatic weeds.

Then the stripers for the shad.

Next they're going to have to stock aquatic gorillas to eat the stripers.

Too funny, that reminded me of this time where my 4x4 pickup was acting up. Checked all the basics, even talked to a few mechanics who said they were going to have to run diags and tear into it. I took it home, removed the 4 spark plugs and found one of them had actually broken off right at the insulator, ended up being a $1.79 fix, hah! Start with the easy stuff! Glad it you got it fixed.

Don't worry. I got towed 12 miles once when my boat failed to start. After getting back it took me a few hours to diagnose... Was almost ready to pull the stator off the motor when I looked over and saw my kill switch tether on the floor of the boat. #-o

Latest posts