2005 15 hp Johnson Oil Scare?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep V 3654

Reaction score
I've only run my "new to me" boat a couple times. Before running it I replaced the gear oil, which according to what I've read here, looked fine. That's all the maintenance I did to it as the previous owner said it was "ready to go". After burning about 2-3 gallons at 50:1 I noticed that when I pulled the boat out water would drain out of a small drain hole on the port side of the long shaft motor as it should.

However, apparently there was a good amount of emulsified oil floating on top and it would ooze out for a period of time thereafter. Its hard to say but I'd estimate the amount at about 5ml; which was a little alarming to me. I checked the gear oil and it was thankfully still topped off and looked clean.

I'm sure a little oil is expected for a 2-stroke but this seemed excessive. Could it be that the previous owner pickled the motor with extra oil? The very first start of the motor was notably smokey, but it seemed normal in the 3 gallons since then? My other boat had a 1985 9.9hp Suzuki and I don't ever remember seeing anything like this.

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts