2004 50hp 2 stroke mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
Hey guys im considering buying a 2004 50hp merc. for my 16ft aluminum deep v, I currently am running a 1988 60hp mariner that tops out at about 31mph. My question is do you think i will get the same performance out of the newer 50hp??? any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Modified Vee 16ft with a 50hp Force 2 stroke and it has been at 32mph
on GPS ..... I got nervous so I backed off the throttle.
I have no idea what the pitch is on the prop but the motor is hung on the transom
just the way it should be.
So I am thinking that if all your stars are in line, you will be satisfied with the 50.

Jus my Dos Centavos
Bass Boat 008.JPG
Bass Boat 016.JPG

Whereas HP ratings were promulgated by the ICOMIA Standard 28-83 (developed in 1983, thus the -83 part of the standard #) and in place by '85 on all motors ... I think going to the newer 50 would be a downgrade, as the 60hp should be a propshaft rated puppy.

BTW, there are some misconceptions on hp ratings between crank and prop ratings, as well as overall hp labeling. Typical losses or reduction in torque is 2-3%, maybe 5% at most, when crank rated. If anything, motors, especially Mercs, were BOOMERs before the change, putting out much more hp than labeled.

OBs hp ratings are also at the mid-point of the recommended range, where the highest power within that range cannot exceed the declared (labeled) power by more than 6% (per section 6.2). So with a labeled 200hp rating at the mid-point of the RPMS (ranging 5000-6000 RPMs) that OB cannot product more than 212hp at 6000 RPMs. I was always under the assumption that OBs had to be +/-10% of the hp rating & label from the Mfg'r as built, but it appears that may only apply on the low end.

Regardless, I think your 60 is really a 60 and I would ensure ... whatever motor you use ... that she is propped right! To me, that is producing no more than 200 RPMs off the maximum RPM on the boat with you and the typical load carried and 1/2 fuel. But that's how I rig my boats.

FWIW my 2 biggest boating pet peeves (that you didn't ask for ... lol :wink: ) are that #1) most OBs wear the wrong prop and that #2) most OBs are rigged and mounted too deep.

Thanks Dale, it just seemed that my buddy who ran a 2006 40hp e-tech on his 16 ft smoker craft moved much faster than my old 60hp mariner. I just thought maybe having the newer 50 horse may compensate but from what im understanding maybe not.

Without know MAX RPMs and where you are running ... who knows? You may be way over pitched and not developing full RPMs in the ideal powerband ...

Edit: I must admit that any E-Tec powered rig I've ever been on has been a balls-to-the-wall barn burning screamer of a motor! I opine they are all 'plus' motors, which means as a class, they put out more hp than rated.

But again, any OB not properly pitched will be a dog ...

Latest posts