johnson and evinrude 9.5 hp recoil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnduframe

Reaction score
how do you replace the recoil on these motors and load the spring back on them

thanks guys and gals

I've done it, it aint easy and I can't explain how to do it . Sure hope someone on here can help

All I can advise is that I tried to re-spring the recoil starter on a 3hp when I was but a teenager ... and the spring gizmo let go out of my grip ... and the walls & work area where I was working was splattered in blood like a CSI crime scene! I didn't lose any fingers, but my Dad was really disappointed in me ... didn't tell him that "I tried to fix it for him."

Since then, I've had a 6hp and snowblower where the pull cord was out 2-3', wouldn't rewind any further and there was barely any rewind torque. I pulled the cord to wind the spring up, LOCKED the rope wheel in place with 2 or 3 sets of locking pliers, removed the rubber pull knob and CAREFULLY routed it through and around the wheel back to full pressure. It worked ... but you do so at your OWN risk!

Can't advise on that motor. But I can tell you if the spring is complety out. You can drive a nail in a block of wood to hold the outside end of the spring and clamp the inside in the cuck of a drill and slowly rewind it. Beats doing it by hand.
There are you tube vedios of this method.

CMOS said:
Try here: https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_9.5.htm
CMOS
"To replace the starter rope, remove the rope, turn the spool 18 turns counterclockwise using a large flat screwdriver. Use the handles of a pair of pliers or screwdriver or similar tool to wedge the pinion teeth into the flywheel teeth, so it can not retract. Reinsert the rope and tie a knot. Allow the spool to rewind the rope.

If everything is already assembled and you need to adjust the tension, no need to make it too complicated. Pull the rope out so you have 2-3 free rounds/grooves for the rope on the spindle. Jam the spool as mentioned above. Take the rope out of the handle and 'thread' it around the free grooves in the spindle, then out back to the handle again. Test for retract ability."

Latest posts