Tilt and Trim kit with or without gauge

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanr3

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am in the process of rebuilding a boat and will start a build thread later.
I have some questions related to engine tilt and trim kits.

Some background information.
This is a 1997 16' Sylvan deep v fishing boat- Back Troller Select. Tiller model.
Powered by a 1995 Evinrude 40hp. Currently the engine hydraulic assist is broken. Prices vary, however for about the same cost I can install a CMC Tilt and Trim kit. For an additional $150 I can get the kit with tilt/trim gauge.

IS it worth the $150 for a tilt/trim gauge?
Could I buy the kit without the gauge and buy an aftermarket gauge for $25-$35 (depends on brand and features)?

Never had a boat with tilt and trim so I know almost nothing about it. Could use any and all help.

Thanks!

I've never had a gauge on a boat with tilt/trim. You will get the feel for where the boat runs the smoothest so the gauge really isn't needed. If you look around on Ebay, you might be able to find the correct OEM parts for your tilt/trim to get it working again. My Mercury 60/45 jet did not have power tilt/trim and I got a complete kit (new in the box) off Ebay for $409 shipped so take your time to find the correct part numbers and then start searching and you can probably save a lot of money. I have a 1996 Evinrude 40 hp with tilt/trim sitting in the garage so I might be able to find part numbers if you have trouble finding them.

Plus yours is a tiller so you are sitting right next to it, can look at it, no need for a gauge. Those gauges are handy on I/O units when the pilot cannot see the lower unit. If you never had a tilt and trim unit, you will appreciate it :D until it stops working of course. :(

Tim