Troubleshooting Mercury 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markusboats

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 2007 Mercury 9.9 on a 14 foot Lund.

Water levels are lower then usual around my community and I hit a submerged rock while on plane a few days ago. I turn the motor off, checked the bottom end and everything looks fine. No visual damage to anything, prop and skeg both look fine.

Unfortunately, now the motor runs for 45 seconds and then seems to die. I am able to start it up right away, but it continues to run for 30-45 seconds and then quits on me.

Any ideas on what this could be and suggestions on how to fix it myself?

Thanks.

Mark

You need to try to determine if it dies from lack of fuel or spark. I like to use a small spray bottle with gas in it to squirt into the carb to help tell which a motor needs. Another thing to check, is the squeeze bulb still firm when the motor dies. Just a guess on my part but since it's able to restart so quickly, I'm guessing it's fuel related.

4-stroke? I had a friend hit a rock with a 4-stroke 40hp at idle speeds in FWD ... the prop and skeg don't even show a hit, but he wiped out the entire top-end of the motor due to the use interference valves from the camshaft. Similar situation, motor would start but not run.

I sure hope this is NOT your case ... so diagnose the easy stuff. Any onboard in-line fuel filter? Vent open on remote tank? Or try with fuel fill opened. Primer bulb staying firm?

Hey Guys,

The issue was with the fuel pump. Had it checked out and replaced by a friend of a friend and motor is running smoother then ever now.

Thanks for the tips.

Mark

Latest posts