Slick lower unit oil change trick!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
A picture shows all ... BEFORE draining out the old oil, clean/wipe the lower leg and add a strip of tape behind the oil drain screw. This allows the old oil to follow the tape edge out and drip/drain STRAIGHT down into your collection bucket. No mess :) :mrgreen: !

Attachments

• LU-Oil-Change-Tape-Trick.jpg
    LU-Oil-Change-Tape-Trick.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,275
I did the same thing in a different way. I took one of the blades off of an old impeller and cut a slit about half way through it. Now when I drain the lower, I just take the impeller blade and wedge it onto the skeg using the slit. Does exactly the same thing and comes off with no hassle. I just keep it next to the gear lube for the next job.

Good luck!

Remove drain. Remove fill. Let it drain. Refill. Install top plug, then the bottom. Wipe oil off (which takes 2 seconds). Done.

turbotodd said:
Wipe oil off (which takes 2 seconds). Done.
Uhhhhhhhhh, apparently you haven't done many or any V6 motors ... :roll: ... as the tape allows it all to collect in the bucket ... not all over the ground to cause an environmental problem for the next generation.

:wink:

DaleH said:
turbotodd said:
Wipe oil off (which takes 2 seconds). Done.
Uhhhhhhhhh, apparently you haven't done many or any V6 motors ... :roll: ... as the tape allows it all to collect in the bucket ... not all over the ground to cause an environmental problem for the next generation.

:wink:

Why is a v6 lower unit harder than others? Granted I don't use a little bucket, I use a drain pan which is bigger. Drains straight down into the drain pan on my 48 SPL, or even when I had my 150 johnson OB. Just curious.
Tim

earl60446 said:
Why is a v6 lower unit harder than others? Granted I don't use a little bucket, I use a drain pan which is bigger.
Not harder, but I used to change many a year and on some bigger motors the oil wouldn't flow straight down, but sometimes down, sometimes all over the skeg to the lowest point and sometime both. With the tape trick we can use small-mouthed collection containers without making a mess.

Whatever ... and your mileage may vary ... but I thought it worthy of sharing ...

Never needed anything like this either. Drop and refill. Done

I use a big drain pan for everything. Trucks, mowers, boat motors whatever.

RiverLife said:
Never needed anything like this either. Drop and refill. Done

I use a big drain pan for everything. Trucks, mowers, boat motors whatever.
+1