18 hp evinrude fuel pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monriverguy

Reaction score
OK here is my question, I have a 1965 18 ho evinrude model 18502 the motor has been great to me , But the other day i went out on the river it would start but die very quickly, would not even idle. then all of a sudden i saw gas dripping out from under the cover. I took it off and the gas was coming out around the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel line from the motor and it stopped in about 10 sec , I thought the fuel pump went bad on me. As i sat there fishing i was thinking what happen it ran great just two days before?

So i open up my lid on my gas tank and a lot of pressure was released i then hooked the fuel line back up and it started and ran fine all day. got the motor out the next day at home put it in a barrel and started it and ran it like a dozen times all was well. Did i just have to much pressure in my tank or do i need a new fuel pump?

And thanks to all on this site its cause of all you that i have a cool 1962 lone star boat and a great 1965 motor

It sounds to me like your problem was excess pressure in the tank. If the pump was faulty the engine would not have run properly after you vented the tank.