Starcraft 14 semiv. Merc 60 or Evinrude 9.5?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which motor?

• Merc 6hp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnson QD 10hp

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Evinrude 9.5

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

agcowvet

Reaction score
1960s Starcraft super duty, weighs about 180, max 20hp. Load will be anywhere (not incl motor) from 210 to 500 pounds, mostly on the lower end. May or may not put on a trailer. Intended usage mainly on Seneca, Keuka, and smaller Finger Lakes (Hemlock, Canadice, etc.) A few have 10hp limits. Hopefully if I am careful there won't be problems on the larger lakes, the wind can get interesting sometimes there.

I have 3 possibilities for motors, well, 4 if I would get something different. 1953 Johnson qd13 10hp, 1972 Evinrude 9.5, or 1960s Merc 60 6hp. The latter two are in better shape, the qd was locked up when I got it, not anymore, and the recoil has a couple welds. I don't have the special tank for the qd either. None are running yet, qd probably needs the most and I can't find some of the needed parts for it. Carb kit especially, and a good tank. But if it would be the best choice I could figure something out.

Questions:
1. Will any of these motors suit? If not, suggestions? Budget is as low as possible.

2. Which would your favorite be, and why?

Thanks much!

Johnson or Evinrude.... just 'cause.

Probably more toward the 53 though 'cause it is older. What's up with the tank? Do you have a tank for the others?

Latest posts