Please help with 1988 Johnson 25

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter1661

Reaction score
I am trying to set the throttle linkages on my 25 johnson. I know very well how to adjust the throttle cam position and wot butterfly position however I have no idea where the throttle cam roller should be when at idle. Is the roller on the throttle advance plate supposed to be ahead of the two reference marks or dead on? With my current adjustment I am right on the two marks when at full idle. If someone has a similar motor and can take some pics of how far out their cable is adjusted and where their throttle roller sits at idle that would be great!

If I adjust where the spark advance plate is bottomed out at idle, the throttle plate does not touch the stop on the cyl head. If I adjust the cable a 1/4" in I can get the plate to hit the stop but the roller sits right in the two marks.

Ok, I left the linkage exactly the way it is in the photos. The. Adjusted my carb linkages. I was able to sneak away to a local lake which is trolling motor only. I was the only guy on the lake so I went inTo a back bay and started the motor. Motor started on the first pull. With a slight idle fuel adjustment and idle adjustment on the handle, the motor runs excellent. I could only run it in idle but from what I could tell all seems ok.

IIRC Those marks are the "engine start" position. just make sure the roller is against the cam but ,looks like ya got to me