To bolt or not to bolt a outboard down?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I have a curious question here. How many people actually bolt down their tiller outboard compared to tightening down the clamps as tight as possible? I have never bolted any motor 25hp and under down and never ever had one come off the transom or even get lose for that matter. I was contemplating on bolting my new 2015 25hp efi suzuki for securing it to the transom purpose only(not theft). The way my boat is just makes it so difficult to do and decided not to. I just put a bar lock across the clamp handles and I'm also going to run two plastic coated cables from the motor to the brace just below the outboard on the inside for extra security just in case it would happen to come up by a freak accident.

nope ,I have never bolted one one that was 35 or less. Too many times I swapping motors and hulls. As yet to have any issues.

You know,I have read were so many people lost their tillers. I don't understand how a motor can pop off unless it's just not clamped down hard. I have physically used and exhausted every bit of strength to turn my clamps as tight as possible. I can maybe turn the clamp a bit more with a pliers or a wrench. Question? Should I try to turn it more with pliers if I can or will the plastic handles snap from it? I'm not a weak guy and have pretty strong hands and I can barely move the clamps by hand anymore but I bet with a wrench I may be able to go one more full turn with force but if it's not needed I will leave it be.

Over time the clamps can become loose as the wood on the transom becomes compressed where the clamps hold on. It is a good idea to check your clamps from time to time to make sure they are still clamping as they should.

I have never bolted a small outboard down, but having said that, I bought a used 30hp Merc. that came with a virtually brand new parts motor THAT HAD FALLEN OFF THE BOAT included.
Nothing good on the outside of the motor, but it doesn't look like the power head or any of the electronics sustained any damage.
Plenty of $$$$ parts on there if needed.

Bolt it. Unless you swap motors often (more than once a year?). I used to live in an area that was known for crime/theft. More outboards were stolen off of the back of boats than any other item. Guys would show up in the middle of a given night and nab the motors, but leave trolling motors, fishing poles, depth finders, etc. Of the outboards that were stolen, not a single one of them were bolted. The ones that were bolted down are, to my knowledge, still on the boat.

I think there were 10 or 11 motors stolen in about a 2 month period. The pawn shops were full. That brings an interesting subject. Neighbor guy had an old Johnson 15hp outboard stolen off of his boat adn found it in a local pawn shop. He called the police, showed the cops his boat registration (with serial numbers for the motor) and the cops said ok. And left. The pawn shop owner had to show who they purchased it from, which might have been a fake ID or whatever. Ended up the guy had to BUY his own motor back. That's just how it works here.

The theft of outboards was so rampant at one point that people were sleeping under their trucks with rifles and shotguns waiting for the robbers to show up. And they did. After I moved out of that neighborhood, I saw in the paper where one of the robbers was hit in the knee with a piece of rebar from one of the homeowners in the middle of the night. Cops questioned him, had reason to believe he was involved and searched...and found enough evidence to put him away for a while. Probably 6 months at best knowing how the law works and how the lawyers will screw around.

Never had one bolted to mine. Never had problems.

But the outboards (previously a 20hp, currently and 8hp) have always been mounted before heading out then removed once back home and stored in garage or shop for theft prevention and just to keep them out of the weather. It's amazing how hard the sun and rain can be on things.

I don't see a problem with not bolting as long as you double check if its tight before you head out.

Not really worried about theft,if they want it they can gladly have it. I have awesome boat insurance through progressive. My boat gets stolen I get a nice fat check,why everyone who cares about their boat doesn't have insurance just mind boggles me because it's so cheap. I have I mean everything covered,boat,motor,trailer,any electronics,all fishing gear,etc.... I have hurricane,wind and flood damage and my deductible is $250 for everything. I have towing on and off the water,it just goes on,all for a measly $360 for the whole yr. I see people on craigslist offer a $1000 reward for a stolen jon boat or engine when that buys three yrs of insurance. Oh well I guess. I still take pre caution and lock everything up but if a thief wants it he's going to get it no matter what.