Slide Lock / Over Clamps question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHook

Reaction score
Random question - I'm making a slide lock to go over the clamps of my motor to add a little more insurance when it comes to safety since I store my boat at a buddies house. I'm not able to check on it much so I want the piece of mind.

Since I keep my boat at a buddies house it is a solid drive to go get measurements just to make this lock so I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what the usual distance is between clamps so I know how far to make a cut into the steel tubing?

I need the distance from one clamp to the second. The motor is a 2010 Meecury 25hp four stroke.

It was really easy to make one so I put together one I think might be ok but after some extra thought I think it might be too small... If it is I'll give it to my buddy who has an 8hp motor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 653
I'd text or call your buddy and have him put a measuring stick on it to make sure. Sounds like a good idea you got goin.

I called him earlier and he's out for business for a week... This was another reason I wanted another lock on the motor to make it that much harder for theifs.

Looks like I'll have to make a trip to the boat just to be safe. If anyone has a similar motor and can check id appreciate it.

If you don't have it already;
a 25hp that is not taken off your boat often, would call for FOUR (4) bolts
through the transom as well as the clamp lock (which can be cut off in less than 4 seconds).

Think about it - - - if you had a set of Harbor Freight bolt cutters, just how long do you
think it would take you to cut off a lock ??

that is way too nice of a motor for it to be gone gone GONE in sixty seconds !!!

if you do make the special trip to check your motor - - - check to see just how BIG
of a stainless shackle padlock you can put on it. Granted, most crooks carry bolt cutters,
but, the cordless angle grinders are becoming more common. very quick to slice through
anything. Your motor could be gone before you even got home.
lock.jpg
This is similar to the lock that I had on my Harley Davidson . . . costs about a $100.00
but on a $20,000 bike, it gives you a little piece of mind.
and yes, there are some high security locks much less than a $100.
But, much better than the $4.00 lock in your photo.
go to a Big Box Store and check to see what would suit your needs the best.
Even if you put a very heavy duty chain around the motor to the boat, trailer or dock
would be a deterrent.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Johnny - it's safe to say when you do something you do it right.

I will be going better (bigger) for my lock as you stated. I already have a chain around the motor itself that is attached to the boat/trailer/house when it's all put up at night. That is my bigger deterant for visual/literal affect to keep thieves from wanting to even take the time.

The slide lock is just to add that little extra security because for this motor I want to make it very hard to be stolen - I would like someone to have to take their time giving them more chance to be caught. (Also have video that covers the boat/car/bike) so I am just doing this extra clamp piece as the little feeling of doing everything I can will be taken care of.

Another side note is sometimes at docks when out fishing I'll have to make a run to the truck or for food etc and knowing it's got some security will be nice - plus I can slide on and off in seconds. Granted it could be broken off in a shorter amount of time.

My feeling is all we can do is discourage the 36" bolt cutters. If they want it make them make some noise. I lost my key for lock similar to the one in your picture and it was opened in 5 seconds with a drill, very little noise. On the other hand, it would discourage a casual thief and is better than nothing.

We like our lives with most of what we own protected from the world by a piece of window glass. All we can do is be aware.

If you really want to slow them down, get some anti theft bolts/nuts and bolt the motor to the transom. Even power tools will have a problem getting at the bolts. There are a lot of different designs when it comes to anti theft bolts so look around.

Latest posts