Mercury fuel line assembly question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmarz4evr

Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased a 2000 Mercury 2 stroke outboard and I want to purchase a new fuel line assembly for it. Any recommendations in terms of brands I should consider?

Any recommendation for gear oil would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

We have changed out all fuel lines for every motor* we have. Seems like those grey ones get clogged up too easy with that stinkin ethanol gas. I bought regular auto fuel line 3/8" at O'Reilly's. It's only about a buck fifty a foot. Used hose claps at the bulb and both connections. *(motors.....Merc, Johnson, Yamaha & 2 Evinrudes) Changed them all out. Haven't had anymore problems with the fuel lines clogging and collapsing. Just use the connections that you have, unless they need replaced. Those can be purchased separately. The old kind of Merc connection is $20. Not sure if yours is the old style or the new style.

I will tell you that when we changed them all out, I bought new bulbs as well. That way we knew the whole line was new. Bulbs are $20 at Wal-Mart.

I used Quicksilver gear oil. It was recommended by a Merc mechanic. Perhaps someone else might have another idea.

Hope that helps. :)

BTW: Congrats on your new motor! :mrgreen:
M
Tyler, Texas

Whatever you get, make sure it is ethanol resistant, or the ethanol will eat the inside of the line and turn it into a gummy mess that will clog your carbs.

Latest posts