got a new classic 50 need some tips

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4203

Reaction score
i got a new to me 1986 mercury 45 hp classic 50 outboard and im having trouble finding a site with all relevant info like this one for johnson's outboards https://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

i need to perform

1 carb rebuild (what carbs do i have can not identify?)
2 oil change (what weight/oil?)
3 change spark plugs (which ones?)
4 water impeller change (P/N?)
5 info on oil injection block off for the 2 stroke oil injection so i can pre mix

can any one point me in the right direction or help me out with some info thanks!

Congrats on your new motor! =D> =D> =D>

There are some guys on here that are pure geniuses on Mercs. I'm sure they will be along to help you out.

In the mean time, go to the https://www.marineengine.com. Type in the motor info and it will show you diagrams and part numbers. You can search either by hp and year or by serial number to find your exact motor. Lots of good info on there.

Good luck and congrats again! :)

M
Tyler, Texas

As I went back and re-read your post, you asked about an "oil change". What oil change?!? Are you talking about the lower unit oil? If so, just drain it out and fill it back up with new oil.

Spark plugs: buy all new ones, the exact same as the ones that are in it now. Take one to the parts store with you.

The carbs: Go to the marineengine site and find your motor. It will tell you the carb numbers and the carb kit numbers.

Oil injected? Does it have a reservoir? If it does, drain out the old and fill it up with new 2 cycle oil. If not, you have to mix. The mix is the same as it is for any other one.

Sorry, I should have read your post a little more carefully.

Congrats anyway! =D>

An Added Note: Handle that fuel filter cartridge with "kid gloves"....they are pricey to replace. The filter itself should be like a strainer. Wash it good in carb cleaner or gas. It should be ok. If not, just buy another filter. You might consider replacing the fuel lines while you are at it. You can get fuel line by the foot at an auto parts store. I think that one is 3/8", but take a piece of it with you and they parts guy will know what you want. It's only about a buck fifty a foot.

this motor came with a few different carbs on this year so i am unsure which carb rebuild kits to get?

also i would like to bypass the oil injection and i seen yesterday some people run output of oil pump in to the input and just let it pump and plug the hole in the head? sound like a bad idea?

where is the best place online to order all this stuff for my motor?

Those carbs are going to have a part number on each one of them. You'll have to look on them and find the part number(s) and go to the link I gave you to find out exactly what carb kit you need. A lot of times, the top carb will have a "T" at the end of the number, meaning "Top". The carb numbers will be the same except for the "T". When you order kits, you will need 2; one for each carb.

The by-pass on oil? I am not sure about that. I'd leave it alone if it were me, but perhaps someone else has a better idea.

Where to buy Merc parts? At the link I gave you, or ebay, or a Merc dealer.
I ordered most of mine from John's Old Merc site. But, it's a 1960.
A 1986 motor is not old enough to be considered a Classic. He will not have parts for yours.

On our other, newer Mercs, I ordered on ebay, but I do a lot of business on ebay. It would probably behoove you to find the parts you need and order them at the link I gave you. That way, if you need to return/exchange, you can.

Good luck!

www.boats.net will have the parts you need for less than MarineEngine.com.

Ask me how I know . . . #-o

CMOS :mrgreen:

how much gear lube do i need for lower unit oil change approximately?

I just changed the oil in mine. It won't take much. Get a quart and one of those pumps, it'll make the job a lot easier.

Latest posts