How/Where do you mix your gas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nguye569

Reaction score
Do you guys have 2 gas tanks for your boats and swap out the tanks when one runs low or do you have a portable gas can that you mix into and pour it into the tank itself?

I go to gas station - fill boat tank - keep track of gallons pumped in then add the appropriate amount of oil - plus and extra splash or so.

Gas and oil mix bouncing to the boat ramp

Couple things ...

#1 - I have a 'mix bottle' for the TC-W3 oil that has the line to 'fill to', whether you added or are adding 1, 2, 3 ... to 6-gallons of fuel.

#2 - I use a clean 3/8" square hardwood stick or dowel that is marked at 1-gallon increments for the tanks used.

My other boats are oil-injected and don't need pre-mixed fuel, so I'll bring 5 to 10-gallons to the boatclub in jerry cans as needed. For those OBs needing oil, I just 'stick' the tank and if I can add 2 to 3 or whatever gallons of fuel, then I'll use the mix bottle to add it, then add the fuel, then pickup and shake the tank to mix it.

Another BONUS of the fuel level stick, is I will read the level BEFORE a long run home, then do the run. When back at the dock, if I knew I went 8-miles, say against the tide, but used less than 2-gallons of fuel ... presto, I know for 'that load' and conditions, that I was at least getting 2MPG. Works slick!

Fuel sticks are a pretty good way of doing it.
I still do that on some of the old airplanes I get to fly once in a while. Pilots know average fuel burn/hour and knowing that on the water is just as important.
With Dale's method you will get to know it quickly.
In a boat I normally know about what I am going to burn and take that amount plus a spare portable 1 or 2 gallon container already mixed.

Captain Ahab said:
I go to gas station - fill boat tank - keep track of gallons pumped in then add the appropriate amount of oil - plus and extra splash or so.

This.

safetyfast said:
Captain Ahab said:

This.
Same for me except that the station where I get my no ethanol gas from is not on the way to the lake, I usually just throw my outboard tank in the back of my pickup and go get my gas the day before I'm going fishing. I can usually go fishing 3-4 times per fill-up so it's not bad doing it like that.

I bought a couple 3 packs of baby bottles for a few bucks at WM. I have them everywhere. I got tired of looking for the Official 2-Stroke measurement bottle every time I mixed.

I have also heard that it is best to fill your tank the day before you go out to keep you from getting gas and oil on your hands and then handling bait which the fish can detect and then refuse to bite. I have been guilty of this myself on numerous occasions.

Keep track of fuel liters, multiply by 20 tells me how many ml's oil to add...or times by 2 and add a 0.

Latest posts