Honda BF100 Clutch Dog Problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua27

Reaction score
I recently acquired an '82 Honda BF100 4 stroke outboard that I paid entirely too much for. After replacing the water impeller, impeller housing, thermostat, multiple gaskets, cleaning the carb, changing the engine oil and the lower unit oil I was finally ready to hit the water. I took the boat out this morning and almost immediately I heard the dreaded thud as I increased the engine RPMs in forward gear which I knew was most likely going to be a worn out clutch dog.

I tore the lower unit down this afternoon and inspected everything thoroughly and just as I had anticipated the forward side of the clutch dog was pretty worn. I also noticed that the reverse and forward sides of the clutch dog appeared to be completely identical. I've heard of people flipping clutch dogs to get a little extra life out of them before renewal so I'm curious if anyone knows if this is possible on my particular outboard? My main reservation with doing this is that the forward side of the dog is marked with an "F".

Here are a couple pics I snapped of the clutch dogs worn lobes.

prop4_zpsiuceawyc.jpg

prop5_zpsjseni0as.jpg

Pull it off & check it out, grab some verniers & take some measurements. Are the dogs straight cut ( 90 dergrees to the slider)? Reason I'm asking is in the pic the one dog looks to have a back-cut to it....might just be the angle of the pic.

Latest posts