1980 40 hp. Mercury won't rev past idle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadian omc

Reaction score
Hello folks,
As the title states, the motor will start with little trouble however when I go to throttle it up it stalls out. I've made sure the vent is open on the tank, changed the fuel supply line, and mixed fresh gas at 50:1
It's console steer c/w electric start and no power trim.
As I am not familiar with Mercury motors #-o I'm asking for your help with this as I would like to get out of the yard and back on the water :wink:
Also,does anyone know how to take the top cover off this motor to access the recoil starter?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
Cheers

There should be a latch release of some sort at the top of motor, probably under the recoil starter handle. If you operate that latch release, the badge/emblem will come off the front of the motor. Behind that emblem is another latch that releases the middle wrap around cowling. From there you should be able to see how to unbolt the top cowl/starter cover.

As for what your motor is doing, it sounds like you might have sucked some trash up in the main jet. Possibly some varnish that broke loose in the bowl. When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

Edit: I went back to look at the diagram for your motor a little closer and that latch isn't quite like the one I had and described above. After looking a little closer, it appears that the front emblem might pop out at the top or bottom and then drop out of the way, exposing the cowl latch behind it. Here's a link to the diagram, maybe this well help you.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/673_20.cfm?mdl=X5JFEL

Latest posts