tiller Handel throttle cable adjustment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK guys I'm going to try and explain this problem ..... My 2002 Jhonson j10te4sn will not ideal , I feel like it runs great but after I get it started I can't get it to ideal down enough to safely shift in gear with out a terrible clunk . when in gear and full throttle it runs like a champ decrease or turn the grip it is all good till I get to about the starting position and then it falls on its face and dies every time ..... it will run great but a high idel is the best I can get it feels like there is a dead spot or slop in grip when I twist lower than mabie 20% throttle any ideas or advice before I take it to shop ??? I really think its a five minute fix for someone that knew what thay were doing I've messed with the idel speed screw but still just dies when trying to idel ..
Thanks matt

My first guess is that you may have some build up in the idle circuit in your carburetor.

Open the cover and take a look at the movement of the timing plate and the carburetor. If you have smooth movement of these when you are twisting the throttle, then I would focus on the carb. if you see some jumping or skipping when operating the throttle, you may need to lube up a few of the linkages and joints.

Good luck!

Thank you , forgive me as I'm not sure what or witch part the timing plate is ... I also don't know how or what to use to lube the joints .... When I twist the grip, starting at ideal there is no resistance till its turnd mabie 20% then that's when the cable starts moving things creating resistance.... And that 20% is where it should be at idel but it dies ...

Ignore the timing plate. I apologize that I didn't pay close attention to the model number. With a 4 stroke, you're not advancing the timing with the throttle.

It sounds like you may have a little slack in your throttle cable. That would cause the change in resistance that you are feeling, but shouldn't cause it to stall.

A quick search shows that this seems like it's a pretty common issue with the Johnson 4 stokes. Not idling low enough. It appears some people have overcome it by making some advanced adjustments to the carb. Not something I'd recommend unless you're confident the problem can be fixed, and are capable of doing the mods.

Sorry I can't help more, but I don't have enough experience with 4 strokes to give good advice here.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help any way ... I guess its going to take a mid summer break at the local shop