How to manually lift motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker17

Reaction score
I have a 1989 Johnson tracker 50hp outboard that needs tilt motor fluid. How do I manually lift the motor? On my other boats there was a screw on the right side of the motor but I'm not seeing it on this model. Can somebody help? Thanks

There should be the bypass screw down on the lower edge of the transom bracket, starboard side. The relief screw assembly can easilymbe seen in this schematic from boats.net for a 1989 'TJ' 50hp model w/ trim & tilt.

FWIW the best I find to fill t/t units is to use 2 people, the 2nd being a helper.

To properly check the OB's trim/tilt fill, both the trim and tilt rams must be extended. Raise OB all the way up and set it on its mooring/full raise lock. If you cannot via the trim motor (you may be too low on fluid) then back off the manual release valve and with some extra help, raise the OB all the way up and LOCK it into place. Be safe, so engage the OB up locks or place some hardwood blocks in there so it doesn't drop on you :shock: ! Then re-tighten the manual release valve.

Tilt reservoirs are easier and best to fill IMHO when the boat is on a trailer, as you can lower the tongue all the way to the ground. The intent is to position the tilt/trim reservoir as straight up & down as you can get it. However, you can still do it as the boat is normally positioned, but you will need a helper ... you can't do this alone ... unless you have 3 hands. Your assistant will simply keep their finger on the UP button while the trim motor takes in all the fluid it can.

Trim the OB all the way up and engage the full UP tilt support (or use a block ... again, you're opening the hydraulics - you DO NOT want an OB to fall on any bodypart!). I use the small long/slender nozzle on the end of the recommended trim fluid container to help keep it in there, but some pros use empty ketchup bottles like you see at diners. I also use Walmarts $2 tube Powertech (?) t/t fluid as it is mil-spec 4606 (if I remember the spec# right) and it works great for this and in my Teleflex hydraulic steering pumps.

Now this is where your assistant comes in. Have them press the t/t UP button (they will not remove their finger until you teel them too ...) while you slowly open the t/t reservoir cap (allowing air to escape) and insert the trim fluid tube/nozzle. Then pump in as much fluid as it will take. Keep the UP button pressed even though the OB may already be up (maybe even off its supports). You will hear the t/t motor hit the bypass valve as the motor sound will change. Still add fluid until the t/t reservoir won't take any more fluid and it starts to drip/gush out. Mind you, your helper's finger is always on the UP button ... and while their finger is still pressing the UP button, quickly put the trim reservoir cap back on. You're all done :) - so they can stop holding the UP button now - whew!.

FYI - the concept behind holding the UP button allows the motor to "suck" in all the fluid it can while attempting to push the OB all the way up. Doing in this way you should not have to top off the system/reservoir again, even after purging, and hopefully not for a loooooong time afterward.

Note - OB trim/tilt systems are self-purging of any trapped air using this process. When bled of all air in the t/t system, you won't hear much if any bubbling or gurgling as the OB starts its up or down cycle, you should just hear a smooth start of the rams in motion. On OBs, Yams especially, if you hear squeaking during the trim/tilt cycle, lube the ends of the t/t rams.

I find that with the fluid adding regimen described above that I never have to top it off with more fluid after performing the purge cycles. But you should always perform these "purge cycles" anyway, even if you don't need to add any more fluid.

To purge the t/t system of air, remove the tilt lock or wood block and cycle the OB down by "jogging" it down, in 2-3 seconds bursts. Then rest the t/t motor 10 seconds (akin to NOT cranking on a starter motor continuously), and then cycle it UP all the way in one long run. Rest/pause again 10 seconds or more. Then repeat that complete down/up cycle 1 to 2 more times to ensure that it has bled all the air out of the t/t system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 606
FYI, that bypass screw is the part# 335659 on the upper right side of schematic as shown. The fill port is on the lower right side, so that should orient you ...

Thank you so much, Dale. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. Now.......I can't find a screw on the starboard side of the motor/mounting bracket?? There is one on the port side. Its not very big & I dont have the best angle but I think I can get it to break free? Gonna give it a shot tomorrow. I'm guessing that has to be it? Thanks again.

Latest posts