Repower or upgrade?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
You have a boat that you like, and it has a 25hp 4-stroke, it can take up to a 60hp. Do you upgrade the motor or do you trade it in for newer boat?

What do you think dealer told me?

I'm curious to see what you would do?

Dealer - New Boat!

Me - if you have a boat you like than go with whatever motor you feel will do the job. I have a feeling I'll be staying with my boat for many years. I don't want to change it, it does what I want.

1) NEW dealer

2) Sell old OB yourself, using TinBoats

3) Check same to buy next new-to-you OB motor ...

Or, saw a sweet Tohatsu used 50hp on Boston CraigsList recently ...

Dealer response would be all over the spectrum. I think majority would say get a new boat and motor. That is what they are in business to do, sell stuff.

What would I do?
If that 25hp was electric start and got the boat up on plane and ran good. I would stick with what I had.
Tim

A boat you like...

will change with a bigger motor. Weight, power, handling in general...it's going to be a different boat.

For me, weight of engine is an issue, but I'm old.

What kind of waters are you working now...and what kind are you thinking of traveling to?

What storage facilities do you have for Winter? What will it take to store a bigger boat?

It would be hard to posit a more individual decision. Dealer's recommendation aside, it is your choice.

How much money do you want to risk on a new hull/engine package?

Have fun chewing on your decision. :mrgreen:

If you like the boat, and it fills your needs I would re-power. But that's just me.

Too many variables. Do you need/want more speed/power? Has the motor been giving you problems or do you think it's going to? Do you have excess funds that you could absolutely just blow on anything?

Me? I'm cheap, if I'm happy with the boat, I keep it. Unless there's some major reason to look for another motor, I keep my setup and save my money for a day when I just wanna splurge on something.

Being happy with the boat is 90% of the game right? Why wouldn't you re-power if you need more power?

Only reason I can think is to get into a 17' + size that would allow you to compete in tournaments as a boater.

if it were me, i'd repower.if the boat doesn't leak that is.as soon as i pay down a 2000 dollar ins. bill i'm getting a 4 stroke electric tilt/trim 25 or 30 horse,and keeping the yammi 2 smoke 15 horse for smaller lake fishing, but i'm never selling the g3.

Smart old guide told me, many years ago...

If you have NO boat...just buy a good used hull (maybe you already have that)...and put a new engine it.

But, as was stated above....if everything is working fine now, and you are happy with it working now....don't change what isn't broken.

richg99

Do you like the current boat? If you don't have any problems with it and you enjoy it, keep it. If you're not happy with it, it's your decision. New boats rigged out are expensive and you take a HUGE hit in the depreciation department.

In this area, a 25 hp motor goes for a good chunk of change. Some more than others but you can figure between $1500 and $2500. So it's possible to sell your current engine and use the money toward a repower.

Or separate it all out. Sell the motor separate from the boat. Generally get more money that way but it's a little more work. Then use that toward a new boat.

All up to you...

if it were me (and it's not), if I were happy with the performance of the 25 on the 60 rated boat, I'd keep it until I got tired of it.

Dealers make their $$$ on trade ins...same as with cars. Much greater margins to them on used vehicles then new.

^^^

Like he said :) You didn't give us much to work on.

How long have you had the boat? If you're really settled in and have it tricked the way you want the answer is easier. Assume the 25 4s is running good and you just want more? Engine upgrade really depends on where you go... Right?

I think I read you Striper fish - so if you're in the bays or just outside extra HP could really help.

If an upgrade is desired,choose your H.P. and brand ,then shop for your choice of new or near mint used at your luxury during the off season. A rare event of a deal may make buying a boat with motor cheaper.
If not comfortable with qualifying condition of used, then bite the bullet while still seeking best price on new.
Older new stock may provide a price advantage.

Latest posts