Steering Tension on 93 Johnson 60hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarr650

Reaction score
I've been beating my head trying to figure out how to tighten the steering on my 1993 Johnson 60hp with cable steering. I cannot locate any tension adjustments. The owners manual states that the tension should be adjusted twice a year, and refers to a tension screw, but only says to bring in for service to get that done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Poke your head up under the console where the cable helm is mounted. Usually these have a long brass rod coming out of them at the 6 o'clock position with a black Deleon knob on them, grooved for gripping, to adjust the cable braking.

Also make sure your trim tab fin is adjusted properly.

I've looked under there, nothing obvious to adjust. There is a brass rod with a black crimp type washer coming out of the center of the box, is that it? Not really familiar with a deleon knob.

Also good advice on the fin, I'll definitely do that as well as trying to get a bit more tension on the wheel.

jbarr650 said:
There is a brass rod with a black crimp type washer coming out of the center of the box, is that it? Not really familiar with a deleon knob.
Sorry ... meant to type 'Delrin' which is nothing but a super plastic material anyway. That rod could be the steering tension and maybe the knob broke off ... You could 'carefully' try a vice-grip to the shaft and see if it tightens up the steering friction.

Attached is a picture of the steering, any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG952015070695134202597.jpg
    IMG952015070695134202597.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 531
Let me ask you this.....is the reason for wanting to adjust tension that the engine (steering wheel) is pulling one way or the other while up on plane?

If that is so then you can simply adjust your trim tab to compensate for the pull on your steering. Adjust as necessary to achieve a neutral feel. You should be able to take your hands off the wheel while up on plane if you have the tab adjusted properly. (Not advised but possible!)

The motor turns to starboard even at very low speeds like 2 mph, off of plane. On plane I agree, the adjustment should be able to be made on the motor fin. Looking for more resistance in the wheel at low speeds, trolling, etc.

Thanks though, appreciate the help! Forums like this are very helpful because of guys like you.

Tight lines!