Mercury 20 h.p. series 200 forward controls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbelanger24

Reaction score
Anyone ever come across a set of forward controls for a Mercury 200 20 h.p.? Found some of the brackets online. Does mercury just have a generic set of forward controls for their old motors? curious if there are any out there. saw the same motor as mine online for sale with a set of forward controls and it looks pretty slick. Would love to get my hands on one.

dbelanger24 said:
Anyone ever come across a set of forward controls for a Mercury 200 20 h.p.? Found some of the brackets online. Does mercury just have a generic set of forward controls for their old motors? curious if there are any out there. saw the same motor as mine online for sale with a set of forward controls and it looks pretty slick. Would love to get my hands on one.

How old is the motor? The 1950's and 1960's had several different controls. We have an old 1960 Merc 400 that has a two lever control box; one for the gas and one for the shifter. Some models only had one control, but they are direct reverse.

Also, I am not sure how to hook up forward controls from a tiller. I bet someone on here does, though.

M

I have a 73' 20hp Merc200 with a set of controls. They are branded Mercontrol and usually have a single lever that controls shifting and the throttle and then there is a second lever that controls the throttle for use when starting. There is also a wiring harness that connects to the keyswitch and the side of your motor. The pattern of the plug has to match the one that might be on your motor. Not all Mec200's were set up for remote control.

I use to have a 75 model that was setup with forward controls when I got it. The PO had jerry-rigged most of it and was even using a chrystler shift/throttle control. I started buying up stuff like some of the linkages, a mercury shift/throttle control, etc, before I decided to make it a tiller control. From my research, it appears Merc did sell a "kit" to convert the 200 series to forward control but I've never seen a "kit" for sale, as in new old stock.

alright guys thanks for the help. did a lot of research last night and came to the conclusion that they are **** near impossible to find anyways so I might as well stick with the tiller control.