EMERGENCY!!!! 1973 Johnson 9.5 Wont start after running WOT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I AM ON THE WATER,PLEASE HELP!! My johnson 9.5 was running great! just been rebuilt from new piston rings outward all new gaskets and plugs, points have been reset and lync and sync has been reset. after 30-45 minutes of running i stopped to relax and now it wont start!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Did you make it back? Had a similar situation earlier when my 5.5hp wouldn't hardly run and we were on the other side of the lake. Ended up draining both batteries we had just to get back to the dock with the troller.

Just seen this also wondering if you made it back.
No idea what's wrong with mine but I've heard of another one that did it to. If your still paddling. Try starting it in forward gear wide open. Just hang on when you rip the rope.

was posted around 3:00 pm Sunday - - - probably got a tow into the dock.

Mr. Whisker, Now would be the time to go over your Emergency Box contents - - -
and try to imagine you breaking down at dark, and have to spend the night
on the water with the snakes, alligators, skeeters, no water, no food, yada yada yada.
oh, and have the number for a Marine Tow Company just in case it does happen again.
Here in my area, if you are broke down and you are not in an emergency situation,
dialing 911 will only get you referred to a commercial boat recovery company. $$$$$$$$

Yes I was towed back after paddling for about an hour, sorry for the delay in response guys!! The bottom plug was stripped and there was water and fuel mix in the bottom cylinder when I pulled the plugs out

The cylinders aren't scored or anything, the head gasket looks like the culprit here, like it wasn't torqued properly when installed last, so now I'm waiting on a new on to come in and I'm looking for a way to fix the threads, maybe one of those spark plug Heli-coil kits?

I have had good success with the HELICOIL kit from NAPA autoparts.
The one I used had about 5 or 6 threads in a full sleeve. The shorter one
is only 3 threads. My local lawnmower shop did it for me for me the first time
with the 3 thread insert and it came out the first time I removed the spark plug.
So, I bought a kit and replaced both at the same time with the longer inserts.
I found some High Temp Thread Lock and also put a couple of drops on the insert.
Haven't had a problem with it for over a year.

You might consider looking for a good used head on Ebay.

What is the model number of your motor. I may have an extra head (I have a 9.5 also).

CMOS

9r72m is the model #, Ive found a Heli-coil kit for aluminum heads that I'm going to try out first, worst comes to worse I'll get a new head.

Been running a helicoil insert on the 25 for a few years no issues. Use hi temp loc tite NOT the hi temp RTV like the directions on mine said.

Found a shop that will install solid thread inserts for 60, the head is still strait, ran a strait edge on it and couldn't even get .003 feeler under it anywhere. I would have done the helicoils if I hadn't found the solid inserts at the shop, and this way if they screw it up they owe me a new head.