Coil Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgros483

Reaction score
Last week I had a coil go out on my motor (model in signature). I replaced it and all is well. I ordered one from Marine Engine, but then ended up finding one locally later the same day. Well, they shipped the coil before I could cancel the order so now I have an extra one.

So, my question is, should I just keep it and replace the other coil? Is this something that usually goes out in pairs? Also, does a coil just either work/not work, or is it something that degrades in performance over time and then eventually fails?

Should I replace the coil that seems to be working fine, just for peace of mind or get my $50 back to spend on something else?

I would keep it. I work for a company that has some trucks of the same make and model and have found that if it breaks on one truck I need to order parts to cover the others because they tend to go bad one right behind the other.

I would replace both with the new ones. Then keep the old good one for a spare.

Can't see signature in your post, what motor is this. I am looking for a coil for my motor, it is a mercury and uses coil #339-5288T 2

Latest posts