88 Johnson help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
Hey fellas I have a dilemma and need some help I was out joy riding on Saturday and after riding around for 2 hrs my motor bogged down on me. It would run fine but it sounded like the air/fuel mixture was wrong. I brought it home and found that the carb wasn't opening when I hit the throttle. I'll post a video of what's exactly happening ( sorry for he bad lighting) does anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong? There's a screw on the rod that connects the throttle to the carb and at first I moved it back to the piece of plastic and when I did that it would open fine. However I never ran it like that and am now scared the timing maybe off. Does anyone have any ideas on what maybe happening?

Okay well it won't let me post the video. Sorry about that if you need any info I'll do my best to answer it

You need to perform what is call a "link and sink" essentially timing the butterfly so it just starts to open as the throttle roller is on the mark (on the throttle advance plate located on under the flywheel). Then with the throttle wide open till it hits the stop you adjust your butterfly to perfectly level.

Okay cool thanks I really appreciate it I just moved to Orlando and there's so much water around it's driving me nuts not being able to be out there ha

1-4 on just the throttle control rod or 1-4 from cam follower pickup point to throttle control rod? Or am I making this way more complicated than it actually is

Very often an engine of the vintage yours is has a pick up roller that has cracked and shed the outer part of the roller. Look in the engine pan and you will probably find the two halves laying in there. I replace sometimes several per week on older engines.
This will allow for a very late carburetor pick up in relation to the ignition timing. Hint - your sync & link is off.
If your roller is only about 3/16" in diameter then this has happened to your engine. The roller should be around 3/8-1/2" thick. Order a new roller and O-ring retainer as I will bet the old O-ring retainer will break upon removal.
This is the roller that is on your carb linkage that the cam comes in contact with.

Latest posts