Help with converting to console from tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank R

Reaction score
I currently have a nice 98 mercury 8 HP with electric start on my Tracker Tadpole. It works fine but I want to build a center console and so I need to convert it to a remote control. What is involved? I think I need some kind of conversion kit for the steering. I do not even know how to do the throttle and starter.

If this is too complicated/expensive, I will just get another motor. I will post a separate question for that.

I'm not sure what you consider too expensive but it's not going to be cheap. Best bet would be a conversion kit if they made one for that motor and if you can still find one. And the cost of the kit is not going to include a console, gauges, switchs, and steering.

Frank, this is one option to consider. Rack n Pinion steering.
I have used the twin clothes line cables for years and also
the push-pull type.
https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/boa/5115886086.html

what size is your boat ? Photos help us to help you.

In my honest opinion [without personal experience] a small motor
like that may be just too small for the setup. Maybe I am wrong.
But when you state that you can not even connect the basics,
you may be over your head before you start.
I suggest you consult your local boat shop prior to actually buying
anything. Get it right from the boat shop mechanic. THEN, if you
run into problems during installation and assembly, you will at least
have someone local to go to if/when you have problems.

Jus my Dos Centavos

Attachments

• 00w0w_eL1UiwsLdIx_600x450.jpg
    00w0w_eL1UiwsLdIx_600x450.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 818
  • 00202_l16ToF3Yy0M_600x450.jpg
    00202_l16ToF3Yy0M_600x450.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 818
  • 00000_k5HchwRYGtn_600x450.jpg
    00000_k5HchwRYGtn_600x450.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 818
  • 00a0a_266acmkpnzz_600x450.jpg
    00a0a_266acmkpnzz_600x450.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 818
Thanks for the information.

I think I am looking for specific information on how to attach the steering cable end to the motor. For example, the motor has a hollow tube through the hinge area that the cable end goes through. But it then must double back and attach to the motor at a pivot point, which my motor does not seem to have.

The same goes for the throttle/FR cable. There is no external place to attach to like on OMC motors.

I had a previous boat with a 30 HP Mariner years ago. I had no trouble building a console and hooking it all up. This motor is different. I was hoping to find someone one here that could help with this motor.

Frank R said:
Thanks for the information.

I think I am looking for specific information on how to attach the steering cable end to the motor. For example, the motor has a hollow tube through the hinge area that the cable end goes through. But it then must double back and attach to the motor at a pivot point, which my motor does not seem to have.

The same goes for the throttle/FR cable. There is no external place to attach to like on OMC motors.

I had a previous boat with a 30 HP Mariner years ago. I had no trouble building a console and hooking it all up. This motor is different. I was hoping to find someone one here that could help with this motor.
I'm not sure if that motor is like the older mercs but if it is then you are correct about the cable going through the tube and then double back. My old merc had a home made cable attach but I'm guessing it's similar to what a factory setup would do. Here is a pic of that home made bracket that clamps onto the carry handle at the front of the motor.

The throttle cable enters the front of the motor on the tiller side. In this pic you can see the bracket that holds locks the cable housing in place. It's the odd color bracket that looks like a spring with a screw through it. Then the cable end hooks to the bottom of that pivot arm.

The shift cable enters the other side with a similar setup for clamping the cable housing. Your newer motor is most likely different but is probably similar. Hope this helps.

Latest posts