Nissan 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
Some might remember that a few months ago I was asking about a Johnson 9.9 my uncle had that had a thrown rod. A few weeks back he and I went hunting for a new one for him. After looking at two others, both of which were short shafts even though the sellers said they were long shafts, we took a look at a Nissan 9.9 that looks about new. Compression, lower unit, spark all good. He bought it on the spot.
Friday night we took it out jug fishing and it started up and idled perfectly. The problem was that when you gave it full throttle it would sputter and just wasn't putting out much power. I am fairly certain that the carb needs to be rebuilt, the problem is that the motor is a NS9.9B2......which apparently they do not make a carb kit for....if it weren't for bad luck he wouldn't have any!
So, now I am trying to figure out what I can do. Gaskets I should be able to just use gasket material and replace, but if the float is falling apart I really can't make one of those. Does anyone know of a kit that is similar enough that I could make it work? Any other suggestions?
I am amazed that a motor that is only 20 some odd years old does not have any available kits when you can buy parts for other motors that are 30+ years old!

Before worrying about and ordering a full carb kit, I would open the carb up and see what you need. In my experience, you can clean most of the components and re-use them.

Go to the autoparts store and get a gallon can of parts cleaner (has a little basket inside to place parts). Then take apart the carb as much as you can. Pull the needles out, get all of the plastic and rubber parts off. Unscrew the jets (May need to grind down an old screwdriver). Place all of the metal parts in the cleaning solvent overnight.

When you pull them out, give each part a good blast of compressed air to blow off the remaining solvent. Be sure to pay special attention to the tiny little holes around the throttle butterfly. I always try to blow these holes backwards from the throat of the carb to get the gunk away.

Then button it all back up and set your idle adjustment. Most of the carbs I've cleaned don't need any additional parts.

It's worth a try for free.

Good luck!

I was thinking I might end up doing just that. The guy that he bought the motor from said he had taken the carb apart and cleaned it up. We found out the other day that the gasket on the gas tank is leaking some, so that could definitely cause any issue and will be remedied quickly.

Latest posts