Anyone ever install a pickup coil on a small tiller motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattpeshal

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a Jon boat that I'm working on. I'm wondering if it's possible to install a pickup coil on a 1990's 6 hp mariner. It would be nice to have the motor "topping off" the deep cycle battery I'm going to use for my trolling motor and possibly some 12 led cargo lights. Has anyone had experience with a small outboard charging a battery?
Thanks everyone
Matt

You're going to need to find a donor motor with an electric start that will fit. You'll have to pull the charging components (stator, voltage regulator etc) At that size I find it unlikely to be available. Plus charging components on the smaller motors aren't extremely effective. Even the charging coils on the 9.9 and 15 hp JohnnyRudes only charge when the motor is running at a good speed.

You're probably better off installing a small solar charger that can charge even when the motor isn't running. Much easier to install and probably less expensive.

Good luck!

I don't think anything under 9.9 will have a charging coil as these motors were not available with electric start. Your best bet is the solar panel.

Latest posts