Wizard fuel tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstresponder01

Reaction score
I've got a 1950 WF-4 Wizard 6hp twin. This has the top half is the tank. Cool old motor. Now I don't think that little tank ontop is going to be enough fuel for what I plan. So is there anyway to hook up an external tank to an already tanked motor? Or should I just pack extra fuel cans?

Pretty much any engine that has a tank at the TOP....will be fed by simple gravity. No fuel pump supplied nor needed.
Carry your extra fuel.
That engine will need at the very least a 24:1 fuel oil ratio.....and no it doesn't matter what Bubba or Billy Bob tells you about todays oils.
In all probability you will need to go through the fuel system, the ignition system, and the water pump. Possibly a gearcase re-seal as well.
From what I understand they are decent runners and pretty quick.

I just dropped about $70 in gaskets and seals. Going to do a full tear down and rebuild. So its going to get the full montey.

I was up very late last night doing as much research into this motor as I could, to the point I fell asleep holding my phone and it hit me in the face... But the one big this I saw was about the oil. Today's oils are much different than oils back then. And from what I can see is they call for 3/4 a pint of oil per gallon. Very interesting stuff. Hard to find good info out there but the stuff I did find was very informative. Lots of help from this forum and wizardoutboardforum.com

Hint.....it is not the quality of oil that is available today. It is the quantity needed to properly lubricate and engine that is not a fully jeweled (needle bearing) engine.
It may do you well to go to www.aomci.org and ask around in the "ask a member" section. That forum is about the foremost authority on antique and vintage engines in the world.

There are two things that normally happen here where running an old engine on half the required oil. Your buddy tells you or an Amzoil guy tells you or you read it somewhere online that the oils of today are sooo much better than they were....blah blah blah.....
The first is that the engine will fail or not have a normal service life. Usually the first thing that is noticed is that it becomes harder to start. Downhill from there.
The second thing that happens is that your buddy then says that whoever sold you the engine sold you a bad engine..........

Oil is cheap....vintage powerheads are not. Make your choice.

I will have to check out that forum. Thank you. I really want to make sure I get this mix right and use the proper oil. I'm excited to start this motor rebuild. Fun to see these old horses come back to life

Wow that motor looks great. Good job bud. I hope mine to took that nice. After tinkering with the lower unit to make sure I am familiar with it. I started paint removal. Someone had rattle canned it. Going to take her back to original. Already found and ordered the the decal stickers. Maybe when I'm done with this I will rebuild another one, these things are really cool. Ive restored a few cars but never a boat and motor. I found a new hobby that's for sure

Cool man I have been looking at them but can't figure out which one I need. I've also been looking for a clutch or just the clutch rubber. It's good now but don't know for how much longer so I wanted to replace it. But I'll email this guy right now. Thanks again

Latest posts