1965 evinrude 6hp help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dstrickland

Reaction score
Everything was fine until last week. The motor ran fine considering is was pushing a 14 ft aluminum boat which weighs a ton. It kinda surged a little I could feel it but the motor didn't sound any different.
I originally was running the fuel mixture just a little heavier on the oil since I don't think a motor has ever died Fromm a little too much oil, so the next fuel I got I mixed it 50:1 and I changed the plugs. This time when I went out it would hardly run, had to keep working the choke and it would just stall out. So I went home. Lol. I checked the plugs the were not wet, but then again, they only had 20 minutes run time on them. I got the motor out and on a stand in a can of water. I noticed that the mixture knob was turning from the vibration on the motor, so I tightened the locking nut a little so the knob had a little friction to keep from turning and got it adjusted so it seems to run better now, in a trash can full of water anyway, have not got on the water yet though. My question is (finally). Does the low speed mixture knob have any bearing on how it runs at full throttle? It was very frustrating the put new plugs in and run the fuel mixture correctly for all that to go wrong at once. I am thinking that maybe the packing around the needle being so loose might have been sucking some air and leaning out the mixture. Maybe a barb rebuild is in orde?

Your 65 is from a tricky year.
You need to know what bearings it has.
24/1 as used on roller bearings on crank end type might be best till you know for sure. 16/1 was used on some too especially at constant w.o.t...
They changed from roller to needle bearings around 65..
Depends on production date to be sure of new or old style stock used to build maybe.

I got the service manual and it says it has roller. I was actually using a mixture that was between 50:1 and 24:1. The 50:1 called for 8 oz pre 3 gal and the 24:1 called for 16 oz per 3 gal, I was using 12 oz. hopefully I can make it thru this summer and give it a complete work over this winter.

Latest posts