vro oil tank removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,I just got a 1986 johnson 60 VRO from the original owner,It has not been in the water for 9 years, but the boat and motor was always keep indoors and has about 400 hours on motor.Its very clean,,the owner fog the motor before storage.The carb bowls was full of oil,
So I want to pull the whole VRO system out and use premix gas.I have the vro pump out( all the hose clamps where broke or loose ,the 3 carb lines and T fittings all loose.I bought a fuel pump # 5005462
I get the gist on how remove the vro pump and wires,But what about the wire from the tank to the motor? The wire has two leads,one goes the ground and the other one goes from black to a rubber sleave then to a brown or tan then into the wire harness.
I can,t find the wire diagram in my selco repair manual.
I want to keep the whole VRO system together as one complete unit.
Thank you for all and any help.
P.S. i did a search on the vro and all i see is way too disable it not on removing it.

There is no need to remove it!
The VRO pump is basically a fuel pump......that happens to supply oil as well.
It is a VERY good fuel pump.
The simplest way to do what you want to do is to disconnect the multi-wire connector from the VRO pump.
Remove the Black/Brown (Tan) harness that comes from the tank to the engine.
Remove the tank and harness from your boat.
Plug the oil pump supply hose with the yellow fitting that should be clipped onto your fuel hoses somewhere.
Fill your fuel tank with the required amount of oil for whatever ratio you choose and purge the lines until you get oil colored fuel running through them.
Drain the oil from your carburetors
Pump up the system with fresh fuel/oil
Go.
Keep or sell the needless fuel pump you purchased.

too late.I,am too far into it stop and go back,I made a bracket to hold the new pump,All the fuel lines are gummy and loose on the barbs
I Need new fuel lines that feed the carbs ( tees and elbows look good) the zip ties look ok, but need ones anyway,
I did remove the oil tank with the wires
What kind of fuel line do i need that is easy to bent for the new plumbing and new carb feeder lines?
thank you

Well....that is one of the reasons why I suggested you use the VRO pump.
Pre-bent hoses are not cheap. The cheap way will cost you more in the long run.
Bend them yourself and I will almost write you a guarantee that the bend will turn into a kink.
Once kinked.......there goes your powerhead and it won't be pretty.
Up to you!
Pre-bent elbows are still available through OEM parts. You decide what you need. Same with Elbows. Support your local dealer!
It may be possible to source a long small diameter spring and slide it into the hoses you need to bend. This used to be done
by the OEM years ago to prevent kinks.
Is there some other reason you do not want to use the original pump and fitted lines and make it easy? Too far into this job is less than 30 minutes!

Ok,, I will use the factor bent hoses,But about the clamps ? Use steel clamps? or get new plastic one like the OEM ones?
I always buy my parts from local dealers.Its easy to return them they sell you wrong part. Case in point: local boat parts store
real mom and pop store sold me the wrong water pump ( moon key #12244)
thanks again

Evinrude pump 438559 will work. It has three barbs. One for fuel input one for fuel output and a pulse line to drive the pump. Ditch the expensive VRO pump and save hundreds. The VRO would have been fine when motors were under warranty.

redrum said:
Evinrude pump 438559 will work. It has three barbs. One for fuel input one for fuel output and a pulse line to drive the pump. Ditch the expensive VRO pump and save hundreds. The VRO would have been fine when motors were under warranty.

Yep! Those darned VRO pumps!
This one has only lasted 29 years so far and is still going although it will load the carbs with oil after an extended down time. Just can't trust 'em! LOL