adding a pull start to a electric start yamaha?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
2002 Yamaha 25 four stroke electric start. I would like to be able to have a pull start on it too, just in case my battery dies. Is this possible???

https://youtu.be/SvPCPBIJ8w8?t=114

Apparently keep a length of rope with you. Probably won't ever need to use this skill, but what does it hurt to know how to do this?

The battery doesn't go dead, I just want to be able to pull start it in an "oh chit" situation. I know the trick about how to crank it with a piece of rope, but you have to remove all that plastic first, and in an "oh chit" situation, you really don't have time for that.

just trying to be prepared...

Just being prepared is what I was looking for.
There is a relay on the market known as a VSR or Voltage Sensitive Relay. A decent one is made by Blue Seas.
You can install this relay between your battery and any load you may be placing on the battery. By installing a VSR you can run your stereo, run baitwell pumps or whatever and the VSR will protect the battery at a preset voltage. Once that threshold voltage is reached the battery will still have plenty for cranking but the VSR will trip and shut off whatever you are draining the battery with.
This is a bunch cheaper than going through what may end up being a starter assembly, mount hardware, and possibly a new cowling due to the height change of adding the manual starter.

Blake - please add your location to your profile - Thanks

and what RiverBottom said - just learn to your the rope - "just in case"

If you are really that concerned then carry a portable jump pack - cheaper then adding a manual start and useful in other situations as well

fair enough, you guys are right. I'm overthinking it all, I already have a jumper pack for my truck, i'll just haul that along.

When I first got my 25 Johnson, I made a pull rope with a wood handle.
Practiced a few times to ensure the length was correct.
Rolled the rope up and poked it down into the lower cowl.
Not in the tool bag - not in the tackle box - not in the car. ON the motor.
It has been there for 15 years and never used it once.

jus my Dos Centavos

Barefoot_Johnny said:
When I first got my 25 Johnson, I made a pull rope with a wood handle.
Practiced a few times to ensure the length was correct.
Rolled the rope up and poked it down into the lower cowl.
Not in the tool bag - not in the tackle box - not in the car. ON the motor.
It has been there for 15 years and never used it once.

jus my Dos Centavos

Always a good idea - I keep mine in my waterproof with the flares, etc. I think on some motors there is a holder under the cowl where you keep the rope

It can be done, and not that hard. I've done 2 of them. Mine and a customer's.

Buy a complete manual starter assembly from a 98-06 Yamaha F25. Ebay is a good place to look for parted out motors, though, the rope start assemblies are more expensive than they should be, IMO. BUT if you bought it all new from Yamaha, expect to pay $600-$750 depending on whether or not you want neutral start stuff. Mine (ebay) were both under $200, about 5 years ago.

Remove timing belt cover from your electric start motor. Install the rope starter assembly. 3 bolts. I chose not to use the start-in-gear cable and linkages because of where I use my boat/motor. Customer's boat, he said he took it off-but I had to put it on (liability...). That was the hardest part, getting all the links hooked up. OH (edit:) don't forget to get the ratchet piece that's bolted to the top of the flywheel. It's not that expensive from Yamaha, but if you can get the seller to let you have it for a few extra pennies, it's a wise investment. Adding recoil start to an otherwise electric start only motor is in itself a wise investment.

LUCKILY the cowlings are the same on the electric and manual start motors, up to 2007. The "newer" (08-15) are completely different. Bigger cowling, different for manual and electric start, etc. Adds more complextity and therefore cost.

Done with factory manual start assembly, it looks factory and functions as reliably as a Yamaha should. If you wanted to really do it "right", change the camshaft too as the compression release is slightly different. Also the manual start carburetor bowl is different. The carb body is the same but the bowl is different. BUT the electric start camshaft and carb work just fine with manual start. It starts beautifully as long as the carb isn't plugged with stale fuel. I usually just reach around with my left hand behind me and feel around for the rope, yank it kind of sideways and it fires right up, usually in gear in that situation. Very little effort to crank it. Half as much effort as it takes to crank the Yamaha 25 2 stroke. Maybe less than half.

Attachments

• motor25.JPG
    motor25.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 926

Latest posts