Lightwin fuel line & filter

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow time

Reaction score
Ahoy everyone, I’m almost done restoring my old Lightwin (model 3030, 1959). I want to install a small inline filter. I can only find one reference to this and it’s from a Duckworks magazine column (one of many) by Max Wawrzyniak, the author of the book, Cheap Outboards: “I also always install a small plastic “inline” fuel filter on the engine, even if it has it’s original strainer/filter. If I am going to spend some time and money cleaning and rebuilding a carb, I want to make sure that only clean gasoline is running through it.” My reasons are the same as his.

Many small engines - motorcycles, lawnmowers, other machinery - have these as auxiliary - or even as OEM - filters and there is much on the net about them.

Has anyone on Tinboats done this with a motor such as mine?
I plan to replace the hard fuel line with rubber to make the installation (& future replacements) easier. Naturally, I’ll use fuel grade rubber and will cut out the hard line but keep the two ends (as nipples) so they will seat well in their original places: the carb & fuel tank.

If all goes well (I’ll let you know), a concern is, will the gravity feed & short drop from the tank to the carb allow consistent & dependable fuel flow?
I will go ahead and see for myself but hope this will be of interest to my fellow Tin Boaters -(1436 riveted Jon which I’ve been rowing for years). I’m also fortunate to have a donor motor too (model 3034, 1960) to practice with. Thanks to all, Paul.

ps - post surgery will look like this:

in-lne.JPG