Fuel line connector confusion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
I picked up a Johnson 6 gallon fuel tank and noticed the connector on the tank has 3 large and two small pins. The connector on the tank I originally got and both my Johnson and Evinrude outboards have 2 pins.

I have googled it and am still very confused. There is a two-hose pressurized system for older Johnson motors but the larger unused pin on the tank I got does not appear to have any orifices in it. I cannot find a picture of the tank connector for this type to see if the third pin is part of the pressure system or what.

The connector that fits the motors and the tank I originally got WILL fit the newer tank - BUT - the one larger pin, that does not appear to have any orifices in it, is not engaged in the connector. It just sits along side it. And the two smaller pins which are spring loaded into the assembly on the tank top seem to put outward pressure on the fuel line connector.

Firstly - is the unused larger pin just an alignment pin?
Secondly - is the small gap that appears between the hose connector and the tank assembly caused by the spring loaded pins acceptable?

I don't want to blow a bunch of mixed fuel and oil either into my shop or my boat.

I would appreciate any insight into what I have to do, if anything, to use this tank with my outboards.

This is the connector on the Johnson - same as the Evinrude

Johnson connector small.jpg

This is the hose connector

Hose connector small.jpg

This is the connector on the new (to me) tank. The small spring loaded pins are a bit hard to see but are above the large pin with the hole in it.

Tank connector small.jpg

Clint, that is the standard OMC tank. The tank connector is standard.
All that pin does is hold your hose connector firmly in position ( I THINK ).
Unless there is a scientific reason for it . . . . actually, I never asked anybody about it.
Just clip it on and go !! (( since 1959 ))

The bottom stud keeps one from trying to put the connector on backwards. Those small pins must be depressed by the connector to let the fuel flow. They keep the fuel in the tank when the connector is not on the tank.

SumDumGuy said:
I found that in my searching. I have already ordered the gasket and will reassemble it and see if it leaks or fails to vent before I rebuild the valves.

Now I have to get the rest of the gunk out of the bottom of the tank before I put it in service. I am going to try the vinegar procedure and see how well that works. If that fails I will have to travel to find some E85 and try that.

Clint - there are several good pointers/suggestions on how to clean the
inside of the old metal tanks. My preferred method is to put in about
a cup of Purple Stuff or other heavy duty degreaser and a half gallon of water.
Couple three big handfuls of sharp rocks (not smooth pea gravel) and shake shake shake.
Of course you must remove the fuel sender and tape up the openings with duct tape.
Rinse well with hot scalding water (or lay your garden hose on the hot asphalt for a bit).
If you are lucky, there is no pitting or leaks after the aggressive internal cleaning.
If you do find some pinholes or leaks, then the gas tank sealer comes into play.

Look on E-Bay at the steel gas tanks..... you will see by the prices that they are well
worth the effort to preserve and keep. I am working on one now and looking for another.
Good Luck.

jus my Dos Centavos

Latest posts