Motor height w/ 4" setback? Pic

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
Alumacraft 1542, 25 yami, mini jackplate with 4" setback. How much higher can I go? Measurement is from the cavitation plate to the bottom of the hull.

I also have 4" of setback. Currently I believe I am in the neighborhood of 2" above the bottom of the hull. This gives me excellent performance out of my 1988 Johnson 25 and Lowe 1440. Right around 30-31 mph. My anti vent plate rides completely out of the water.

However, with a light load I have to keep the motor tilted in the second pin to from the transom. Otherwise the prop ventilates bad out of the hole. Second pin, the boat takes off out of the hole great and never looses bite. Even when going over large waves.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight for you.

Here is mine, I did make an adjustment so it may be on the high side. For some reason when I transferred the pic to photobucket it became blurry. It measured ad a smidge above 2 1/2". Keep in mind, I do have a lot of extra weight. Front and rear decks, battery, trolling motor, 6gal of gas, live well plus seats and fishing gear. Plus the stuff I keep in the front storage lockers. So my boat rides lower even at WOT..

Cool, thanks for the pics and info. I was figuring on coming up two inches and seeing how that does.

No problem. Just watch your water pressure/flow. Safely that is, and wear your kill lanyard! I posted a few weeks ago where I had darn near killed myself because I was thrown from my boat and I wasn't wearing the lanyard.

Also, this may not be for everyone.. But it is the way a motor is "supposed to ride when at WOT". The anti vent plate should be just out of the water. Some say on our little boats it doesn't matter, but for me it does. I picked up 4 mph just by getting the plate out of the water. To each his own. The other thing that was generated by lifting the motor up that high other than speed, was torque steer. The tiller literally wants to rip out of your hand until you set the torque tab correctly. Just be careful with the torque steer. That's all I have to say! Lol

I have a '71 sea king 1436 jon with a '81 Mariner / Yamaha 25hp short shaft motor on a mini jacker. I too have the anti-ventilation plate about 2" above the bottom of the hull. My boat jumps out of the hole and is very fast.