2007 merc 50 tiller 2 stroke smoke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2007 merc that I have owned for 2 years. This Spring my motor started acting up. Hard to start like flooded then would finely run but lots of smoke during start up. Seems to run fine after you get up to speed.

Never had any starting issues until this Spring.

I took it to a local marine fix it guy who said I had a bad coil. Ran fine for a few trips now hard to start on the ear muff again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Firefly.

You said he put a coil on it and it ran ok for a couple trips. Did he replace the plugs? If the problem seemed ok after replacing the coil maybe you have a plug breaking down. If it is ignition related and the plugs haven't been replaced it won't hurt to have a new set anyways. Hard to start usually leads me to fuel first. If there is a filter or screen check and clean. Then clean the carb and check the diaphragms,making sure all ports in carb are clean. Once running does it run good and start ok? Or is the problem every time you start. Warm or cold

Nubins,

It runs perfect after it warms up.

I ended up taking it to a dealer who emptied my carbs, syncro the linkage, test electronics, all good except my oil pump had jumped timming some how?

Not sure I beleive that one or not but they say it was smokin to much and is back to normal now.
I will water trial this weekend to see.

Thanks.

crazymanme2 said:
I don't trust oil injection. [-o<

If it where mine the injection would be gone.

Have you had a bad experience with oil injection CM?
First motor I have owned that is injected.
Can I just start mixing my oil & gas or do I have to remove my pump first?

I had an 04 Merc 60 2s for 10 yrs that I had bought new on a Tracker package. Sometimes it was cold blooded and other times it was not, would fire right up in basically the same weather conditions (temp, etc). sometimes it seemed like it would flood easily, other times not, no rhyme or reason to my knowledge. Oil injection worked fine the entire time I had it, some starts would be smokey, some not, plugs always looked good unless I idled too long or did some slow speed (just in gear) scanning with the side scan before loading up on the trailer.

Merc's are cold blooded IMO, but I'm a Merc guy.

I have a '14 Merc 60 4s now, and LOVE it, had the boat/rig 10 months now, and only filled the 16 gal tank about 3 times, it apparently does not like the taste of gas, and I go fishing 1-2x's/week, and pull cranks for crappie during the summer months with the 60 4s. I likeeeeeeee. :LOL2:

Ya know there TNtroller you described basically how my motor has acted this Spring, but with no odd symptoms previously.

Anyways my problems seem to be cured as the last two trips out have been uneventful, some expected smoke upon cold start but very reliable after warm up.

Thanks guys for your input!

I don't know much about oil injection because the motors I worked on have had it bypassed before I messed with them. But I believe that oil is mixed with the fuel at the fuel pump. I don't believe there is any timing involved in the injection pump. My thought is in draining the carbs they flushed out some trash. Either way it's running now, and if the problem reoccurs I would drain the carbs again.

I got to where I added some sea foam to the gas on a regular basis as well, seemed to help a bit but the 60 would still be like female at times. LOL. Might check your gas line for aging as the interior of the hose goes downhill while the outside can look ok, and the fuel filter as well.

DaleH posted a note awhile back about cleaning the smallest orifices first,
then move up the line to the larger . . . to prevent debris from being knocked
from the larger to plug the smaller - which makes sense.

Not related: my lawn mower was giving me FITS with the same symptoms.
appeared to be fuel related..... removed and cleaned everything . . . . no improvement.
Just for giggles, I put my shop vac hose on the gas tank mouth and sucked out a big
black bug that had somehow wedged itself in the drain outlet....... problem solved.
Look for the simple things first - then paddle up stream.

Well guys my motor is acting the same again.

We launched at a ramp where there were some drunk chicks swimming. My motor smoked so much it was embarrassing, but finally seemed to do better after a long warm up. When we left my car door was keyed 3times which left some nasty damage that will have to be buffed out.

I think I want to remove my oil injection pump and start mixing oil myself.

Any suggestions on how to properly by pass the oil injection pump.

Also what about the choke mechanism. I know my carbs dont have a proper choke they have some kind of a injection thing called an electric enrichment valve. Will there be a problem with that valve doing its job.

Hey I just thought that maybe the fuel enrichment valve might be my problem. Will that thing make my motor smoke too much when starting?

It could be related the enrichment valve if it adds too much fuel. My 1994 60/45 Mercury smokes a little bit when you first start it or restart it so that's somewhat normal. If you're getting a lot of smoke then I would lean towards the oil injection not working right. Mine was bad and the motor would barely run and it leaked so I removed it and I run premix synthetic around 80:1 and still get that smoke at start up. I pulled the injection pump off the motor and removed the drive gear inside and then put the pump housing back in place to keep things sealed up. I have the gear and shaft stored with my other motor parts if anyone ever wanted to put it back on. I also capped off the oil hose and my reservoir is empty. I've been premixing for 25 years so it's no big deal to me.

Latest posts