Odd starting procedures: 1966 Johnson 9.5 - ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

I have a very well running 1963 Johnson 9.5, but I am perplexed as to how it behaves (starting) when the outside temperature is hot here in Texas, 90-100 degrees.

I first got this motor running in winter of 2015. Cold starts are done as usual: prime, choke, throttle to neutral hard stop, pull. Works well.

In the summer when the outside temperature is hot, boat just put in the water, this motor seems to only start with no choke (understandable) and with the throttle only in the lowest "Shift" position. Meaning, if I advance the throttle to the neutral hard stop, it floods and will not start. I can literally smell the excess fuel in this position.

Back off the throttle to the "idle" or Shift position, and she starts after 4-6 pulls. Runs like a scalded dog all day long.

So, why doesn't this motor start with the throttle in the "START" position? I would think it would start easier due to the timing being slightly advanced, in comparison to the "Shift" position.

Thoughts?

CMOS

First of all, each motor has an idiosyncratic path to get it to start. Now that you've found it, WRITE IT DOWN! Perhaps you won't be the next person to try to start it, or, by the time you return to it, you will have forgotten. Works for me...

Second, ~perhaps~ the carb settings are a bit rich. How do the plugs look after a run? How do they look after prolonged idling?

Mark,

Plugs look good, and even. I really have not done any prolonged idling. What would you consider "prolonged"?

I'm the only one (for now) that is starting this motor, but once I get my 15 HP running I plan to sell the 9.5, and I will definitely write a starting procedure for the next owner.

CMOS