1992 Johnson 6hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing fireman

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 1992 johnson 6hp. I just rebuilt the carburetor and fuel pump. I can get gas through the fuel pump but not the carburetor. Any ideas?

The float is not opening the needle valve. Did you adjust the float per the instruction?

I didn't see any way to adjust it. Of course, this is my first time doing an outboard carburetor. What do i need to do to adjust it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

With the bowl off and the carb upside down, the float should be level or slightly raised from the rest of the card. Your rebuild kit should have instructions and a diagram. Some kits include a paper scale. The float should have a clip to hold the valve to the float. I've lost them before and its no fun trying to find where I dropped it. Also check your line from the pump to the card to see if its clogged or De-lamiated

Float could have been installed upside down as well.
Tang on the end of where you clipped on the needle and wire hangar should face down.
Let me ask you this. How is it that you are sure the carb is not filling? What did you do to verify or is this an assumption?
Also, since it is your first time cleaning a carb I would bet that the idle lift tube has not been properly cleaned out which will give you the same result. No fuel.
Should be able to remove a bowl drain and verify fuel flow through the needle and seat.
Or - if the carb is removed already and dry of fuel just turn the carb over and try and blow through the supply nipple. Should not be able to. Turn the carb back to the running position and try again, should be able to.

Latest posts