40hp Mariner issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpbond

Reaction score
I have a 1987 40EL Mariner 40hp. It starts and idles just fine and part throttle is fine. When I go full throttle, it goes for about 10 seconds, then bogs down for about 5 seconds, then takes off again. Normally on an off road atv or bike, I would say that I'm draining the float bowls, but (unlike a bike) this thing has a fuel pump. Any ideas what could be causing this?

If possible, pump the primer bulb while it's acting funny. If the problem goes away, then you will need to rebuild the fuel pump. If not, then it's probably something in the carbs.

kofkorn said:
If possible, pump the primer bulb while it's acting funny.
If the problem goes away, then you will need to rebuild the fuel pump.
If not, then it's probably something in the carbs.

OR !! your squeeze bulb may be causing problems. They don't last more than a
few years and it's time to replace it.
check the clamps and fittings - loose connections will suck in air causing a weak fuel flow.
all kinds of fuel related issues can be addressed by using the search feature.

Welcome Aboard, enjoy the ride

I just bought the boat from my brother in law this week. He replaced the fuel pump a few months ago. Maybe something didn't seal properly when he reinstalled the new one. He also just rebuilt the carbs around the same time. I have been thinking that it was something in the fuel system before the carbs and the air leak comment just reinforces that.

Thanks

Latest posts