1982 Johnson 15 HP Carb Rebuild - Update: running!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMOS

Reaction score
Howdy All,

I'm in the process of putting my Carb back together after a good cleaning. I have a Carb Kit but I'm having trouble with the little white funnel looking "SS needle bushing". It doesn't seem to fit in the area where the SS needle is to be screwed into. See attached pic.

What's the procedure to get this in?

Also, I assume, based on its shape, the red round thing in the pic fits in the top of the slot where the SS needle goes - ?

Help with this SS needle bushing please!

CMOS

Attachments

• DSCN6202.JPG
    DSCN6202.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCN6205.JPG
    DSCN6205.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 417
yes, the red nylon washer goes there . . . it is a very TIGHT fit
when you put in the threaded needle. All it does is keep
your needle adjustment valve from wiggling loose. (IMO).
on the past two kits I have done, I ended up using the old one
as it fit better. (your call on that).

Attachments

• DSCN6205.JPG
    DSCN6205.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 406
Okay guys, she's running. Started on the 3rd pull. SS mixture was set perfect. Didn't even need to move it (although yes I did test the setting). This motor is much quieter than my 1966 9.5.

Some questions:

1. I was not able to test shifting because I had to take the prop off to fit the lower in my barrel. I have heard that it's not good to shift unless there is prop resistance - is this correct? (I will be getting flush muffs shortly).

2. When I was running it in the barrel, the only place I saw water exit the engine was the pee hole. Is there another location where water exits the engine where I could not see, perhaps below the waterline of my barrel? Please educate me on this.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with this motor restoration project. It's been fun.

CMOS

Latest posts