Pee Hole location(s) on 1993 Johnson 150

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Johnson 150 Silver Star Series Model VJ150ELATG. I was testing it last night to see if the "pee hole" was working. I assumed it was right under the engine area on the back corner of the motor, but there aren't any holes anywhere up there. I only see in the lower unit. Am I missing something? I've attached a picture of what I see when I have the hose running, which is the same thing I see when the motor is running. Also here's a link to it running that I shot on the day I bought the boat a few weeks ago.

IMG_0584.JPG

[youtube]https://youtu.be/SohunzhNTcg[/youtube]
https://youtu.be/SohunzhNTcg

OK, so I think I may know more now... According to the service manual, there's a flushing port that you hook up a hose to. Apparently this location is also the water pump indicator (I'm guessing this is the pee hole). So when I'm using muffs that don't have a hose attached and attach the hose to the flushing port as seen in the video, then I likely won't see anything. Based on the manual, I can use a flushing kit that has a hose attachment at the muffs on the lower unit. So I'm guessing that if I hook it up that way, or just take it out in the water, I will see water coming out of the port at the top. does this sound correct?

Your tell tale indicator should be on the bottom of the powerhead cowling. It is on the starboard side so that you should be able to easily see it from the console. The indicator isn't in or near the lower unit, as this area is nearly impossible to see when you are navigating. The water you see squirting out is from the various drain holes to prevent water from staying in the lower unit when it is tilted up. Mainly to help prevent corrosion and freezing.

If you don't see anything coming out of the bottom of the powerhead when the motor is running and hooked up to water, then you need to look into where the blockage may be before running the motor for any length of time.

As an additional comment, the tell tale won't work until the motor is running and hooked up to water or the lower unit is fully submerged. The water pump blocks any flow until the driveshaft is moving

Good luck!

kofkorn said:
Your tell tale indicator should be on the bottom of the powerhead cowling. It is on the starboard side so that you should be able to easily see it from the console. The indicator isn't in or near the lower unit, as this area is nearly impossible to see when you are navigating. The water you see squirting out is from the various drain holes to prevent water from staying in the lower unit when it is tilted up. Mainly to help prevent corrosion and freezing.

If you don't see anything coming out of the bottom of the powerhead when the motor is running and hooked up to water, then you need to look into where the blockage may be before running the motor for any length of time.

As an additional comment, the tell tale won't work until the motor is running and hooked up to water or the lower unit is fully submerged. The water pump blocks any flow until the driveshaft is moving

Good luck!

So, I can't find any holes around the powerhead at all. The only one is in the center of the back of the powerhead where I can unscrew this plug and attach a hose. In the manual this is referred to as a water pump indicator. So I'm guessing that this is the hole, but when using the hose in this way, I won't see any water there. See attached picture from the manual.
Water Pump Indicator.jpg

Is there a smaller hole (about 1/8") in that plug? It would allow water through if the hose isn't hooked up. It looks like they incorporated the indicator into the flushing plug.

When you are hooked onto the muffs and motor is running, you should get a small, yet strong stream out of that indicator. Check to make sure it isn't plugged up by bug nests or anything else.

EDIT:

Yep, see the picture from part number 0436857
$_57.JPG

That little hole should be squirting water out when the motor is running.

It's part #30 on this page:
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1993&hp=150&model=VJ150ELATG&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Cylinder+%26amp%3B+Crankcase

Good luck!

Yep, that's the one! Man, what would I do without the kindness of strangers on the internet?

So I either need to get some muffs that I can hook the hose to or just take it out on the lake and run it and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Right. Muffs are ok, but can mask a poor water pump. Best way to tell is to put it on the lake and check the stream. Make sure that little hole is pointed in a direction you can easily see (looking at the back of the motor, I'd have it pointed to the right and slightly downward).

Good luck!

Took it out tonight - had some issues, but did confirm that the water is coming out of the plug just as we expected. At least that's one thing that I don't have to fix. Now on to the carbs!

Latest posts