96 Merc 60hp fuel filter??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxcar36

Reaction score
Have a 96 Merc/Tracker 60 hp. Problem popped up last week, hard to keep running when cold, once she gets about 5 starts in she'll stay running. Once under power she seems like not getting enough fuel and every once in while will get a burst of full power. This happens at all throttle positions. Thinking fuel filter clogged and am definitely going to change filter but was wondering if it could be something else I'm not thinking of.

ohhhhhh fuel starvation or flow restrictions could come from
any point from the gas tank all the way to the carb.
It is just a process of elimination. Starting from one point and
going the full route until the problem is solved.
Some issues will drive you NUTS before you figure it out.
Good Luck !!

If it's a clear filter, take the engine cover off and watch the filter while it's running to see if there is any air bubbles getting in or if the fuel level in the filter drops while it's running. I was getting air bubbles into my gas line at the engine connection. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine and the tank and reconnect them tightly to see if that changes anything. Also check the O ring for the squeeze ball in the fuel line. The ethanol in the fuel is eating up gaskets and O rings causing leaks at any possible connection point.