Short or long shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
I really want to mount a Merc Mark 55 or 58 on a restore with a 16 inch transom. Every time I get a line on one its a short shaft, and always 100+ miles away so I've never measured one. Can anyone tell me if a "short shaft" will work on a 16 inch transom? I'm told shaft length is measured from Clamps where they contact top of transom to centerline of prop shaft, that right?

A short shaft is 15"
A Long shaft is 20"
An Extra Long shaft is 25"

outboard%20shaft%20length.gif

A boat manufacturers idea of transom height and a motor builders idea of long shaft, short shaft will never be the same measurement.

Right off the bat, you cannot take a tape measure and lay it against the transom and measure it. That is not how a transom is measured. Your measurement will always be long.
Outboard transoms are designed at around a 15 degree angle.
With this in mind the way to measure an outboard transom is to either take a straight edge off the bottom of the boat and measure from the top of the transom to a point on the straight edge that will be perpendicular to the bottom of the boat.
Or, take a square and come off the bottom with it and measure to the top of the transom.
Now, the simple answer to your question is to use a short shaft engine.

Thanks, clear and concise. Using the square I have 15.5 inches of transom height. Of course that means I've missed 2 possible Mark 55's and 1 Mark 58 due to my ignorance. Hard to come by these in Vermont.

Pappy said:
Right off the bat, you cannot take a tape measure and lay it against the transom and measure it. That is not how a transom is measured. Your measurement will always be long.
Outboard transoms are designed at around a 15 degree angle.
With this in mind the way to measure an outboard transom is to either take a straight edge off the bottom of the boat and measure from the top of the transom to a point on the straight edge that will be perpendicular to the bottom of the boat.
Or, take a square and come off the bottom with it and measure to the top of the transom.
Now, the simple answer to your question is to use a short shaft engine.

That's good info!!!!

I have a buddy just outside of Nashville that has a complete Mark58 he would like to sell. Like me, he leans more toward Johnson and Evinrude but a boat that he recently purchased came with that engine on it. PM me if you are interested, thinking that he will not want a lot for it.

Latest posts