1954 Mercury Mark 20 Oil Ratio

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpfieber

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm pretty new at the boat motor thing. I have 2 motors for my 12 foot tin, a 1954 Mercury Mark 20, and a 1982 Mercury 7.5. From what I've found, I should be using 50:1 for the 1982, but I'm uncertain about the Mark 20. My mechanic said 32:1. I found a doc on the web that seemed to suggest Mercury motors of that size and time period were 20:1. Anyone know for sure? What would happen if I ran the wrong mixture through the motor? I'd love to simplify and have one tank that works for both, any ratio that would satisfy both?

20150823_163102.jpg
00q0q_2e6EAKDNfok_600x450.jpg

...finally found someone on my side...all I read is 50/1 or something bad will happen. Nothing yet..

About that Mark 20..I had a Hurricane 10 on a 12' v-aluminum boat and it did 24 mph with me only. Was on a wooden hydro before I bought it. The flywheel nut came loose while it was running. Did not know it until I stopped. Ran fine while loose. It destroyed the taper on the wheel and crank. If I were to get another similar motor I would maybe lap that taper and torque to specs. Or what ever proper procedure for it if lapping isn't. fyi..

Sinkingfast said:
About that Mark 20..I had a Hurricane 10 on a 12' v-aluminum boat and it did 24 mph with me only. Was on a wooden hydro before I bought it. The flywheel nut came loose while it was running. Did not know it until I stopped. Ran fine while loose. It destroyed the taper on the wheel and crank. If I were to get another similar motor I would maybe lap that taper and torque to specs. Or what ever proper procedure for it if lapping isn't. fyi..

Thanks, will have to look into that...

Sinkingfast said:
...finally found someone on my side...all I read is 50/1 or something bad will happen. Nothing yet..

Probably the most accurate knowledge base for vintage/antique engines and how to keep them alive and well can be found at. www.aomci.org.

Latest posts