Stainless Steel Prop?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
I've been running my 25HP Johnson with 3 blade aluminum props for some time now. I have 2 identical props with a 13 pitch. When one gets dinged, I have it repaired while using the other. It doesn't take much to ding an aluminum prop. I was thinking of spending the extra money and getting a stainless prop. Is it worth it from your experiences?

To me they are worth it, but not sure on a 25hp, as 40hp OBs are the smallest I 've ever put them on.

Also, if you are already 'dinging' an aluminum prop, with the SS one, a good ding could bend the prop shaft or cause other LU damage - as the SS prop won't give like the softer aluminum ones will ...

Generally speaking, stainess is a little faster, a lot tougher, and more expensive. Aluminum is cheaper, slower, and sacrificial to an extent. Just a general rule of thumb. If you're dinging up aluminum that much, could it be wise to stick with aluminum? It costs a lot more to fix a stainless blade. Coming from someone who's had a Turbo Hotshot for going on 5 years, figured I wouldn't get a year out of it considering I fish a few rocky shallow streams that are notoriously hard on props/skegs/foots. That said, I have hit a couple objects..one killed the engine altogether...figured I'd done it in. Nope. Nothing but a scratch on the prop's leading edge. I'm afraid to pull the prop off, afraid I'll find twisted splines.

I've got a stainless prop on my 25 mariner (came with the motor when I got it). A lot of the duck hunters around here switch to SS props because they hit so many underwater logs/limbs or other obstructions and they keep bending/dinging aluminum props. After all these years I've never heard of any of them complain or express any regrets after making the switch so it must be working.

I put a stainless on my 25hp yamaha after knocking a blade off the aluminum prop and bending the shaft. I had some pretty hard hits with the stainless and never had any problems.

Latest posts