Moving a side console, which cables?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New here. I've owned a couple boats and can fix most anything. I'm in west michigan and fish rivers mostly for salmon, steelhead, and smallmouth bass. I recently picked up a 1984 bass catcher pro. It's got a 1984 50hp evinrude with a jet conversion. I need to move the console* further forward which requires longer cables. I'd like to order all the cables/parts at once but I'm not sure what the all cables are called. I see kits and individual cables online but I'm not seeing all the parts I need.
Its currently got a safe-t system.
What are each of the cables called?
Steering.....
Shift/throttle? But doesn't that require two cables at the motor end?

*I'll be building a new console for stand-up use and it'll be installed against the front deck in the center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 347
Steering - Buy a replacement longer Safe-T steering cable. But if an older system, and one that is not 'NFB' (No FeedBack design - that blocks or prevent steering torque from the OB being felt at the helm) then I'd consider a complete upgrade and would buy a U-Flex system from Andy at SIM for Shipyard Island Marina, https://www.shipyardisland.com.

Controls - Yes, one each gear and throttle cables are needed. OMC/Bomb uses a proprietary design for the fittings that lock into the control-end and motor-end. I further believe they had 2 types, pre-1974 or 1979 style and everything newer.

Great prices on-line for that stuff is https://www.surplusunlimited.com out of Miani, FL. If interested in the premium cables, the Teleflex Marine 'Xtreme' series of cables are the best, so much so that even when I hooked 3 control stations together in serial operation on my toona boat, I had to 'add braking' to the system to give me some felt resistance and feedback - they were that smooth!

The typical Xtreme cables use the Morse type-33 connection, which is a 10-32tpi thread if I recall correctly. Xtreme cables might be available pre-made with the OMC/Bomb fitting type, otherwise Teleflex sells a conversion/add-on fitting kit to use type-33 cables on all brands of motors and connections.

FYI, I do have 4 sets of brand new Xtreme cables from 16' to 24' I could sell cheap if further interested ...

There's a lot of play in the current steering system so I'm guessing it's the older style.
I count 4 cables from the motor going to the controls.
1. Steering
2. Shift
3. Throttle
4.?
This is where I'm confused.

I'd like to run all the cables under the deck so that determines the length. I'll have to try a trial piece of pvc tubing or soemthing to make sure they'll fit.

Last one is the main electric bundle from your controls. Goes into the motor on the port side with the battery cable. This will go to the red plug under the motor cover. Usually this cable is pretty long and the extra is coiled up and tucked into a hidden spot. Track it down and look to see how much extra you have. Should be able to uncoil it and not need to do much else.

Good luck!

kofkorn said:
Last one is the main electric bundle from your controls. Goes into the motor on the port side with the battery cable. This will go to the red plug under the motor cover. Usually this cable is pretty long and the extra is coiled up and tucked into a hidden spot. Track it down and look to see how much extra you have.
Yes, that is the main harness; the red ends are the large "amphenol" connections used, a connector that came from the aerospace industry. I believe I have a 3' OMC extension harness out in the shed ... if needed, with the corresponding red ends needed on each side.