HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME = NEW (to me) OUTBOARD MOTOR!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

Once more, I GOT LUCKY. = I bought myself a rebuilt 1970-71 (F-Model) BEARCAT 55HP 4-cycle outboard with all the goodies for my 69th birthday.
(One way to get what you REALLY want is buy it for yourself.)

Since rebuilt, the OB had been run so little (The PO died & I'm buying it from his estate.) that the paint on the prop is still FLAWLESS.
(It hasn't been started in >4 years.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TO ME!!! :D :D :D
(It's never too late to have a SECOND childhood.-CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

earl60446,

Have you heard of the HOMELITE or the PIERCE-FISHER 55HP outboard?? = Essentially the same engine. = a 59CI, 4-cylinder, 4-cycle outboard. - Built/sold from 1961-72.
Weighs 225# and is imVho the cheapest >50HP outboard out there to run all day AND that will happily/quietly troll for hours on a QUART of med-grade plain gasoline per hour. - The Homelite/Bearcat is GROSSLY OVER-engineered.
(NO JOKE: one quart per hour & the Bearcat/Homelite doesn't get hot doing it, as 2-cycle OB would.)

One reason that many people don't know about the Bearcat is that about the only boat dealers that aggressively promoted Bearcat OBs was BOSTON WHALER dealers AND dealers that catered to the "working watermen"/commercial fishermen.
(Richard Fisher owned the majority of Bearcat, after Homelite sold their outboard factory.)

Want to see a BEARCAT 55 "in the flesh" & quietly idling/not causing commotion/smoke/oil overboard/etc.?? - Go to: https://www.homelite55.com for LOTS more info.

yours, satx

Jim,

THANKS. = I'm feeling pretty lucky.
(I had a 1963 Homelite on a NICE 20" tin open fisherman & a 4-wheel trailer, which was stolen while I was TDY, OCONUS years ago. - I've looked for another good one, at a decent price, for months & months.)

"BIG UGLY" is headed to my buddy's shop for a complete "look through" & tune-up tomorrow PM. - It will power another BIG Open Fisherman, as soon as I can find another suitable hull.
(I have a distant cousin down on the TX coast that has a similar engine powering a 23 foot WELD-CRAFT commercial fishing rig & he runs that old OB 8-10 hours every day, 48-50 weeks a year, commercial trotlining/crabbing/bait-shrimping for 25+ years.)

yours,satx

Latest posts