Prop suggestions for Honda 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skfullen

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Honda 9.9 four stroke on a 14ft Jon. The motor is about 12 years old but new to me. I'm 280# and it gets me on plane fast and does about 18 mph wot. It runs best with the peg in the third hole from bottom. Otherwise the bow bites into the water when running at 3/4 throttle or above.

The current prop is the factory original 4 blade, 9.25 X 9. It has some dings and chips and I'd like a spare prop. Mainly for use if I further damage the current prop, but also to have something to experiment with.

I mostly run alone and put about 75# of ballast in the bow to keep it down on take off.

What effect would different pitch props have and what do you suggest?

Take a look at that Prop Calculator by Turning Point Props that I had posted and that is a 'sticky' post at the top of the Motors forum. That lists that Honda motor so all you need to do is find your jon boat (or find an equivalent model) and enter in the weight of you and all the gear typically carried ... and you should get some options.

Keep in mind that you don't need to buy their props, but it will tell you the ideal prop diameter and pitch that you should be running for the parameters that you entered ...

Thanks! I will try to go to the library soon to check out that link. I don't have internet at home and use my phone for the forum.

if you are looking for speed try a 3 blade solas stainless 9 1/4 9 . you need a tach to monitor rpm. 10 bucks on ebay will buy a tiny tach. your Honda needs to run at no more than 6000 rpm. I gained a lot with this prop on my 15 foot alumacraft with Honda 9.9 .check my older post about alternator drag vs. rpm . hope this helps.

Unfortunately it is off by one model year! I thought it was when I bought it but its a 2003.

yours is probably like mine. there are a few things you can do to go faster. sorry I didn't answer your message ,I couldn't figure out how to do it. I started at about 8 and got to 20.2 @ 5680 rpm. still looking for more. I explained a lot of what I did in a post in MOTORS alternator drag vs. engine rpm on December 14 2014 .

Latest posts