I just looked..my big end isn't cracked!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkingfast

Reaction score
I received a new con rod for my omc 15hp 2stroke rebuild. Removed the rod cap to see more of my brand new con rod. Noticed the cap was not cracked off but rather had a sorta dove tail deal..put the cap back on and will not line up perfectly exactly like it should. I've farted with it for a couple of days and no luck.

So..$43.00 from Singapore.. good to use or a paper weight... thoughts? I know what mine are..

There should be a small bump on one side of the cap and one side of the rod. Make sure you have the bumps on the same side when assembling.
All production OMC rods were "cracked" for perfect alignment. For your engine there should be used rods on the market.
To answer the other part of your question....if the rod is not aligned perfectly then it is not usable. Use your fingernail or a pencil lead to check.

There was just a bump on the rod but not on the cap so I marked it before removing the cap. I almost went used but I saw a new one for what seemed to be a good deal. Yea, I know...

I guess I'll spring for a polished one I saw on ebay..and hope for the best.

Thanx Pappy..

Latest posts